On Mondays, Karyssa goes to gymnastics. Her gymnastics class is in a great, encouraging environment. If she is not comfortable with something, they don't force her to do it. She has had some height issues with the uneven bars and balance beam, but she is getting more brave every week.
Kyran has been able to join her a couple of times for make-up classes!
On Tuesdays, Karyssa goes to dance. Her dance class is much more structured than gymnastics. This has really put her to the test with not speaking out, waiting her turn, and not talking to friends in her class. She loves to dance, though, and her teacher is excellent with a class of 12 three to five-year-olds.
Pictures from her first class!
On Wednesday mornings, Kyran continues to have his physical therapy. He has made great strides and is a favorite among the interns there. At his most recent appointment, he walked on the treadmill for five minutes. He is getting much better at jumping and climbing stairs, and his balance is improving drastically.
On Wednesday afternoons, Kyran has...wait for it...Karate!!!! Yes, that's right. My four-year-old boy who was born 11 weeks early with a hole in his lung is taking karate! The first day, he said he didn't want to do it anymore because a girl was mean to him. She told him he was cheating because he wasn't doing everything. I told him to tell her that he wasn't cheating, he was new and just couldn't do those things yet. There are still a lot of things that he isn't able to do yet, but nothing he won't try.
His first-ever karate move!
Karyssa was able to join his class a couple of times too!
Karyssa has her first recital coming up next month and she is very excited about it. I can't wait to see her up on stage and to see her face when she gets her first recital flowers!
They also have their "Big Shows" coming up for gymnastics and karate, when we get to go into the gym and watch them show what they've learned. The mid-season show was their first lesson, so it was a little weird to watch them "show off" what they had not yet learned. This time should be a lot more fun for them!
They have no inhibitions (other than a slight fear of heights for Karyssa) and don't seem to have any stage fright (I guess we'll see when Karyssa actually gets up on stage).
All of this makes a very busy week for us, but it's worth it.
I love being able to give my kids the opportunity to try things and see how they like them. I pray that I let it always be about what they want, and not what I want for them. There is so much joy on their faces during their lessons that I'm pretty sure they're enjoying themselves!

No comments:
Post a Comment