Wednesday, October 21, 2015

Back to the Future Day

I'm assuming anyone reading this knows what "Back to the Future Day" is, but just in case, I'll explain.

In 1985, the movie Back to the Future came out. Two years later, Back to the Future II came out, although the movie was still set in 1985. In this movie, they travel to October 21, 2015.

Today.

They made a lot of predictions. Some that have come true, some that are close, and some that will most likely never be.

There were also things they could never have imagined.

They predicted video chats, video games that you don't need hands to play, fingerprint payments, and several other things. Hoverboards, automatic tying shoelaces, and a few others are in the works (and if the Cubs can pull off a miracle like the Red Sox did in '04, their prediction of them winning the World Series still might be true). Flying cars, the outrageous clothing, the abolition of lawyers and rejuvenation clinics will probably never be.

They could never have dreamed of the internet. Of smart phones and iPads. Of the decline of print media. Of so many other things that we have now.

I was 7 when that movie came out. I truly thought all of that was possible. I had no doubts that I'd be around when this date rolled around.

My great-grandmother was 69. She will turn 100 next month. I wonder if she believed she would see this day.

I wonder if I'll be around when another 30 years have passed.

I wonder what we'll see then. What things we've never dreamed of that we will have. What cures there will be for horrible diseases. What we'll wear. What we'll listen to. What incredible and scary technology will be available.

I hope I am alive then. And I hope I remember to look at this blog. And maybe show it to my grand kids.

No comments:

The Burkett Bundle on WLTX