Thursday, March 29, 2012

Forget Me Nots-Part 2

Here are some more things that I have been able to remember (or at least remember to write down!)

1. About a month ago, we attended a Cocky's Reading Express event, where they unveiled a new bus for the group and gave out children's books. The book they gave was about pirates, which Kyran and Karyssa loved, of course. They each got one, and upon getting home, Karyssa brought hers inside, but Kyran left his in the car. The next day in the car, they were arguing over whose book was the one left in the car. Karyssa was convinced it was hers, even thought I told her that hers was in the house. As she was looking at it, though, one of the pages fell out. She looked at Kyran and said, "Kyran, I'm sorry your book broke." She's learning early!

2. At lunch one day, Kyran placed his pretzel stick in between his first and second fingers. He then put it in his mouth, took it out, and kept repeating that motion. Curious, I asked him what he was doing. "Putting the fire in my mouth and out of my mouth," he said. I asked him where he saw that, because no one close to him smokes, at least not around him, and he said, "On TV." I guess I need to pay more attention to what's on when I think they're just playing.

3. For their half-birthday, one of our friends gave them piano books. They are really neat (although they don't quite understand that they're supposed to be playing the notes on the page). They love to play them, though! A while back, Isabella was doing tummy time and Karyssa laid on her belly in front of her, and played and sang her a song. It was so sweet!

4. Speaking of sweet, I've been playing some question games with the kids, just to see what they'll answer. Usually they have pretty simple answers, or just silly answers, but Kyran gave me chills the other night. I told him I loved his smile, and then asked him what he loved about me. I expected him to say my eyes or something like that, but instead he said, "I love something God gave us - Love. You always give me love. I just melted.

5. On a couple of different occasions, Kyran has used a series of events with sequence words. The first time, he said, "First we will go home. Second, we will eat. Third, we will go to bed. I'm amazed by his grasp of those types of things. Additionally, he is counting on his fingers, counting by sight without his fingers and doing simple addition and subtraction with no visual aids.

6. Karyssa is not a performer. She does not like to show off what she knows. Occasionally, if Kyran is getting a lot of attention for something, she will mimic him or show some knowledge that we weren't aware of. It's amazing how sometimes I think she's not catching on, but she proves me wrong very quickly!

7. They both love their letters. Kyran especially. He is not reading, but he did once read the word "off" on a sign. He is also learning to spell words, and can answer correctly when we spell a few as well. We were watching a show one day, and the letters "B" and "A" popped up on the screen. He looked at me and said, "Mommy, B and A make baby!" He's learning so quickly!

8. I love watching the kids with Isabella. They both love her and are very sweet with her, which is good, because I was slightly worried about them being jealous. What I find interesting is that Karyssa wants to help with her. She wants to help feed her, burp her, give her a paci when she's crying, and make her laugh. Kyran, on the other hand, doesn't have any interest in those things, but if she's crying he's so sweet. He'll go to her, pat her and say, "It's ok, baby Isabella, my mommy will make you feel better."

9. The kids love Taylor Swift's music. When they were babies, if Kyran cried in the car, all we had to do was turn on her CD and he would immediately stop. When we turned it off again, if he wasn't sleeping, he would cry. They walk around singing her song "Mean" a lot, and the other day, Kyran, out of the blue, started singing, "I wear t-shirts, you wear t-shirts" to the tune of You Belong With Me. It was so cute. They don't always get the words right, but boy do they sing the wrong ones loudly!

10. After Christmas, Jason went to our neighborhood association's president's house to help her put some of the neighborhood Christmas decorations in her attic. Karyssa asked where he went and I told her that he went to help Ms. Beverly put some stuff away. She looked at me and asked, "Is he helping Ms. Beverly clean up her mess?" So cute, and now every time we mention her, she asks, "Did Ms. Beverly make a mess?"

11. For Christmas, we got the kids Candy Land and Chutes and Ladders. Boy, have those games changed since I was younger. They love to play the games, and when I first got out the characters for Chutes and Ladders, I noticed a similarity to their favorite TV show. I asked them who they looked like. Kyran hesitated for a moment and answered, "The Little Einsteins". I love how observant they are, and the connections that they make! See for yourself!


Not the greatest picture, but you can see the genders and coloring. 

No comments:

The Burkett Bundle on WLTX