Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Forget Me Nots-Part 1

These are long overdue, and some are a couple of months old, so forgive me if I don't remember exactly when they happened. There are so many things that I think, "I'll remember it until I get a chance to write it down", and then I completely forget what they were. Here are some of the ones I remembered (or at least remembered to write down immediately):


1. Several months ago, Kyran scooted over so that he was sitting right beside me on the couch. He looked up at me and asked, "Mommy, why am I sitting by you?" I said, "I don't know, why?" He answered, "Because it makes you happy." That little man melts my heart at least once a day!


2. Also several months ago, my mom was having back problems and couldn't pick the kids up. She has been feeling ok for at least a month now, but every time she starts to pick Karyssa up, Karyssa says, "Does your back not hurt?" She is so thoughtful!


3. On that note, Karyssa amazes me with her use of the negative question. She is constantly asking things like, "Does your back not hurt?" or "Are you not feeling better?". Very empathetic and grammatically correct at the same time. That's my girl!


4. For their birthday, Shaunna and Blythe gave them an electronic learning map of the United States. (I love that Shaunna's a teacher and knows how important learning toys are!) The map does all kinds of cool things. On one setting, it just says the name of the state they press; another setting teaches them something unique about the state, etc. After playing with it for about 10 minutes at lunch, eating, playing at the restaurant and driving home, Kyran took the toy out and immediately pointed to South Carolina and said, "That's Carolina." I was amazed! Later that night, my dad drew a very rough sketch of the US and asked Kyran where South Carolina was. He pointed to almost exactly where it would have been!


5. Karyssa has curly hair. You know that if you've ever seen pictures of her, but what you may not know is how much I struggle with it. I am not a girly-girl and barely even do anything to my own hair. Sometimes Karyssa's hair is crazy and other times she gets gorgeous, tight ringlets that make her look like a doll. A few weeks ago, she had one right in the middle of her forehead, and it reminded me of the old poem my mom used to recite:


There was a little girl who had a little curl
Right in the middle of her forehead;
When she was good, she was very, very good,
And when she was bad she was horrid.



Not that Karyssa is ever horrid, but she has definitely given me a taste of what the teenage years will be like recently!


6. Jason has started getting up with the kids on Saturday mornings and making Mickey Mouse pancakes for them. It's such a neat routine. He lets them pour in the milk and mix and he even makes "bows" and "hats" for Mickey and Minnie. One morning, Kyran was eating his pancake and started remarking about the shape that it was taking. First it was a boat, so he started rocking it and singing "Row, row, row your boat...", which Karyssa followed, and it was completely adorable. Then he started recognizing letters in his pancake. I know I'm not supposed to let him play with his food, but if he's learning, I'm not going to stop him!


7. Karyssa is not usually lovey-dovey with me. She likes to cuddle, hug and kiss, but only on her terms usually, and I'm fine with that. When she does want to cuddle, I take advantage of the time and I feel like I've won the lottery. One day, she was just looking up at me and said, "Mommy, you have brown eyes." I know it sounds simple, but the way she was looking at me and the way she said it just meant so much.


8. When Kyran was about 14 months old, his physical therapist had us buy a yoga block to help him get up on his hands and knees to crawl. Once we switched therapists, the block went into our storage ottoman and I completely forgot about it. In January, I rearranged some furniture and cleaned out the ottoman. I forgot to put the block in and Kyran found it when he was playing. He looked at Karyssa and said, "Karyssa, remember when we used to play with this? But it was not a toy." Wow. It makes me wonder what else I did during that time that I thought he'd never remember that he very well might remember!


I'm working on Part 2 also, but this one has taken me forever, so I just wanted to get this part up today. It is just amazing to see how smart, funny and sweet these kids are!

No comments:

The Burkett Bundle on WLTX