Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Bring on the Firsts: Friday Night Football Game!

At some point, the firsts slow down. At another point, they start coming quickly again.

During the first year, especially, there are firsts almost every day. First smile, first laugh, first crawling steps, first words, first steps, etc. Every day is a first, and holidays are very, very special. Then things slow down. Not that the days are any less special or significant, but there doesn't seem to be as much cause for celebration in daily life.

The toddler years are a lot of fun, but (and maybe because I allowed it to be) they can also be repetitive. We created a routine and I was careful to stick to it. Once they were mobile, it was difficult to take them some places, because all they wanted to do was be out of the stroller and wandering around and all I wanted was for them to be in the stroller, where I knew they would be safe.

We went to the zoo. We went to the children's museum. We went to the park. But we didn't venture outside of our comfort zone much.

Enter the preschool years.

Wow...if I thought having toddlers was fun, having preschoolers has put a whole new meaning on the word fun. During the past year, we've really been having some adventures. They've started lessons. We've taken our own solo vacation (sort of, more on that later). We've gone swimming. We've been to the children's theater and the marionette theater. We've been able to do so many things that I would not have been comfortable doing in the toddler ages.

Last Friday night, we had another first...their first Friday night high school football game. They had been to one game before, but it was a Thursday afternoon JV game where one of the ring bearers from our wedding was playing quarterback (talk about making a person feel old!). Friday night, we went to a game where Jason's boss is one of the assistant coaches, our friend's niece is in the marching band, a girl I used to teach is the color guard instructor and one of the kids' gymnastics teachers is a cheerleader. They had a blast!

They cheered for the team. Karyssa practiced her cheerleading moves. Kyran practiced drumming along with the band. They ate boiled peanuts. It's safe to say that they love football games! We are hoping to make it to a lot more high school games, at least until it starts getting too cold!




No comments:

The Burkett Bundle on WLTX