I would not trade my twins for anything in the world. I am amazed by them every day and love the bond that they share. I am so happy to have them, and I am so happy I had them first. I can't imagine those mothers who have one baby and then have two (or more) at the same time.
At first, it took 2.5 hours to feed Kyran and Karyssa, only to start over 30 minutes later. Nursing Gemma takes 15-20 minutes, and then I hold her upright for another 15-20 minutes, because I suspect she has silent reflux. Many of you will remember what happened to Kyran, so I am very careful to keep her upright for a while after she eats.
Not only is there just one of her, but she has been the most laid-back baby I've ever known. She sleeps the majority of the time, and has been going 6-8 hours through the night since the week we brought her home. There have been a few times she has only gone 4-5 hours, but not many. She eats well (as long as she can stay awake) and, like Kyran and Karyssa, actually cries to be put down so that she can sleep.
She gets the hiccups a lot, and they sort of sound like Q-bert (I'm aging myself, I know)!
For now, she is sleeping in the bassinet next to the bed, so that I have easy access for night feedings, reswaddling, or replacing pacifiers. She currently has no nursery, not even a crib, but that will come in time.
She has had only three bottle feedings since she's been home, all with pumped milk. Two when I had the stomach bug and one so that I could enjoy dinner with my mothers of multiples club.
I don't have an updated weight, but she is certainly gaining. She has grown a little in length, but her body has filled out pretty drastically. She is still wearing newborn clothes and diapers, but I don't know how much longer that will last.
The kids had frequent appointments with the doctor for weight checks, eye checks, hearing screens, lung checks, and a few other things I'm sure I'm forgetting now. In the month since Gemma has been home, she has only seen one doctor, once for her 2-week check-up and once for a weight check. She looked great at both and doesn't need to be seen again until she is 8 weeks old. (Only two weeks...how is time going so quickly?)
She likes her swing and her bassinet, but is not a big fan of tummy time. She tries very hard to roll on her back, but hasn't been successful yet.
We are waiting for that first smile, but can definitely see in her eyes that she wants to. Her lips just haven't quite figured it out yet. Her gassy smiles are beautiful, though! Just this morning, she made her first noises that sounded like a laugh. I know that will be quite some time, but it was very cute anyway.
Another thing that makes it easier this time is that now I have two five-year-olds who love to help take care of their baby sister. I could never, ever have imagined the love that they have for her. They want to hold her, hug her, kiss her, throw away her diapers (yes, Karyssa loves to use the Diaper Champ), put her pacifier in her mouth, rock her swing, and anything else I ask them to do. Part of me is waiting for the novelty to wear off, but I don't really see that happening.
Her daddy is, of course, completely in love too.
Sometimes I look at her and ask, "How did you get here?" Even after 8 months of pregnancy, I still can't believe that I have another beautiful daughter. She is the answer to my prayers. She is a miracle. She is my sweet baby girl.
Here are some pictures!
5 days before delivery. I was huge!
Two days old, the first time I held her!
5 days old. First time the kids met her
12 days old...Finally home!
13 days old...Father's Day
Matching outfits!
What she looks like most of the time...sleeping soundly!
My first outing alone with all three kids!
Homecoming day (6/14) and one month later (7/14)









No comments:
Post a Comment