I'm a couple of weeks late, but November 17 was World Prematurity Day and that is always a special day in our household. This year, it's even more special. Because of the awareness and efforts that have been made regarding prematurity, our precious Gemma made it to 36.5 weeks this summer! Still a preemie, but with a much easier journey.
I've mentioned this before, but it amazes me every year. When Kyran and Karyssa were just 10 months old, I wrote this about them on World Prematurity Day:
I love Kyran for his shy, flirty smile, his big bear hugs, his "happy
squeal", his "I'm in pain" cry, his warm eyes, his passion for food, his
soft skin, his long eyelashes, his determination, his resilience, his
patience, his belly laugh and far too many other things to name.
I
love Karyssa for her big, bottom-teeth-showing smile, her tiny lips,
the way she lays her head on my shoulder before bed time, because she
knows I'll hold her a little longer, her angry cry, her delighted
giggle, her dark, curious eyes, her silky skin, her I-can-do-it
attitude, her persistence, and, again, far too many other things to
name.
I could still say the same things about them! (Although Kyran's smile is less shy and more flirty these days, and of course, I have to add Karyssa's perfect spiral curls!)
Kyran is determined to make everyone in his life feel good about themselves. He gives great compliments and hugs, and says I love you to the people he loves. It didn't take long for his teacher to fall completely in love with him. He asks about 200 questions a day, and remembers the answers to all of them. He is all about extremes. Things are either perfect or awful, and usually they're perfect. His loves right now are watching football, playing the Wii (he's taught himself how to do everything), and eating. He still loves food, but is definitely my more picky eater. He loves to be surrounded by people and thrives when he's the center of attention. He still falls occasionally, but is doing so well at school. The kids know he's small, but have no clue he has CP. He remembers everyone's names and everyone loves him.
Karyssa is Miss Independent. She can do it by herself. Everything. Except maybe untying knots. She rarely asks questions. Instead, she just makes a statement and lets me correct her if she's wrong. Her curls, smile, and story-telling quickly win the hearts of everyone she meets. She is also one of the most helpful kids I've ever known. If I need a diaper thrown away, a paci grabbed, mail gotten, anything in her power (usually) is her pleasure to do. Just last night, she grabbed my hand and started rubbing my arm. She also asked me to cuddle with her until she fell asleep, so I did. She's not usually much of a cuddler, so when she asks, I try to comply! Although she loves people, she also enjoys her alone time. She doesn't need other people to have a good time. She has her usual group that she plays with at recess, and is very happy that way. Her sweet and "curly" attitude makes her so lovable!
Both kids have completely surpassed my expectations of what a big brother or big sister could be. They love Gemma so much. They love to hold and cuddle her on the couch. They love to help me keep her entertained. They love to help her play, and get so excited when she passes her milestones. Gemma's going to have no self-esteem issues with these two telling her how cute and sweet she is all of the time.
They have also amazed me with their transition into school. They love learning, making friends, and having independence from me and each other. They are very well-behaved. I joke that they use all of their energy being good during the day and then come home to terrorize me, but I think that's the goal of parenting. After all, as an adult, my mom still probably sees my worst side.
I feel so honored to be their mommy. I am so proud of the kids they are and the young man and woman they are quickly becoming. As they near their sixth birthday, I am realizing that, although they are tiny, they are no longer my little babies. They are strong, happy, healthy, independent kids, and I am so blessed that God gave these wonderful children to me!
No comments:
Post a Comment