Wednesday, October 19, 2016

Brownies

Girl Scouts was never on my radar. I remember being a little jealous of the brownies in elementary school, but I quickly forgot about it when other activities presented themselves for me. I really didn't even know what Girl Scouts were. Like many, I associated it with camping and cookies. Then, this summer, a friend whose daughter is in the same grade as Kyran and Karyssa (and in the same class as Karyssa this year!) asked me if Karyssa would like to be in her daughter's Brownie troop.  
Honestly, my first inclination was to say no. I had just enrolled her in gymnastics and Kyran has been busy with his plays, but upon reading more about it, I realized it was probably the perfect thing for Karyssa.  
An excerpt from their website: 
As a Brownie (Grades 2-3), she might:Expand her circle of friends in a troopHave fun learning all kinds of new skills as she earns badgesDo a project that makes a difference in her community (and beyond) as part of a Girl Scout Leadership JourneyBond with her friends as she sells cookiesExplore nature and the outdoors 
It all seemed perfectly in line with what Karyssa likes to do, and how she's been gifted spiritually. Crafts, outdoors (she's a tree-climbing nut!), serving others, and spending time with other sweet girls...what could be better than that for my sweet, creative helper? 
She has only had two meetings so far, but she loves it! We've also discovered that another sweet girl in her class and Brownie troop actually lives in our neighborhood!
She's had one activity cancelled because of a recent hurricane, but has another one planned soon! 
I'm so excited to see the friends she'll make and how much she'll grow because of this wonderful opportunity!
First meeting!





Second meeting!


Hospital visit to work on wellness badge!


No comments:

The Burkett Bundle on WLTX