Wednesday, January 17, 2018

Gemma - 2018

I haven't made New Year's resolutions in a long time, but this year I did.

1. Be more intentional about relationships.
2. Get more active.
3. Blog more frequently.

Every time I get on here, I get so overwhelmed with everything I've missed that I start a post and then never finish it. I'm going to start slowly to get back in the swing, because I feel like Gemma has been so cheated by my lack of recording her moments.

Gemma is truly a gem. She is one-of-a-kind, taking what she likes from her siblings, parents, friends, tv shows and other influences, and then adding her own spin on everything.

She is truly funny and already has lots of "voices" that she does. She can do country, british, baby, random animals, and almost anything else you ask her to.

She is full of sass and loves to dress up. One of the only things she asked Santa for this year was a pink ring. She loves to put on jewelry and lip gloss and wants to paint her nails.

She asks about 1000 questions a day, and remembers the answers to everything. She talks in paragraphs and almost always uses correct grammar. Like with Kyran and Karyssa when they were younger, she is so small (still wearing 18-24 month clothes) that it sometimes freaks people out when they hear her talk.

Her favorite color (for now) is pink. This changes often, as does her favorite animal. She doesn't seem to like being pigeonholed into choosing one thing, rather liking to keep her options open.

She LOVES to sing. She wakes up singing and falls asleep singing. She learns the words to songs quickly, singing lots of Kyran's show songs after just hearing them once. When she doesn't know the words, it's cute too. She's already ready to be on stage.

She wants to be like Karyssa, who is so kind to her and always looking for ways to share and encourage her.

She loves everyone, but her favorites (outside of family) are Ms. Lelia (Hannah's mom), Ms. Rebecca (Lily's mom), Ms. Cristina (another mom we've gotten to know at school), Aunt Jackie and Uncle/Mr. Dave from church.

She started ballet classes in August and loves them! She is making new friends and really loves being a part of the class and learning new dances. She had her first soccer class last night, but was very tired and was pushed by another girl early in the class, so she didn't want to participate. We'll try again next week and see if she's more into it.

She loves to learn and is always asking how many of something there are or how to spell certain words. She is starting to sound out words, and can spell words that are phoenetic when prompted for each letter. She knows all of her letters and letter sounds, recognizes numbers to 9 and can count to 17 (although sometimes she misses 14 and 15).

She loves to watch TV and movies, but still sometimes gets up to "play" what she is watching. She sits well through movies in the theater and does very well during Kyran's plays, especially when she recognizes the songs.

She likes to be "snug as a bug in a rug" at night and sleeps with her blanket, pillow, and Simba and Nala. She used to alternate animals, but now she has her favorites. When she wakes up in the morning, she usually sings for a little while before calling out, "Mommy, I'm awa-ake." If I don't get in there quickly enough, she'll move on to Daddy and Karyssa.

She has a great imagination and is always pretending something. This morning, I told her she couldn't have milk because I think she's getting a cold. She said, "Pretend you said I can have milk." I did and then she drank it. (Although she did comment that it wasn't milk.)

She eats very well, and there isn't much she doesn't like. She is getting slightly more picky as she gets older and seems to get in "moods" where she just doesn't want to eat a food that I know she loves.

The "terrible threes" aren't as bad as I remember them, but that could be because there's just one of her. She challenges, but she's smart enough to know when I won't give in, and she gives up fairly quickly. She does throw temper tantrums, of course, but they're not usually very long. At one point last summer, she would scream so loud that once I thought we were having an earthquake because it shook my inner ear so much! Those days seem to be gone, though.

We went up to visit Tammy and her family for a few days over Christmas break, and Jason was pushing her around in a little car. When they stopped, he held out his hand and said "Milady," to which she replied, "Thank you, M'man." She has been doing this since then, and we think it's the cutest thing. However, I did just realize as I sat through Captain Underpants this morning during the no snow-snow day, that she actually got it from that movie. That movie, that she saw once in the theatre months ago. I told you she doesn't forget anything.

She had croup again in November, but it didn't seem as bad as the first time (when we called the ambulance). It's possible that it didn't seem as bad because it wasn't the first time we were ever dealing with it, but I also think as she gets older, her airways are getting larger and that helps.

She weighs about 25 lbs now, and it still so tiny, but she's active and healthy, so we just think she's going to be a tiny little girl. If she hits 5' one day, I'll be surprised.

I could probably write all day about her and never run out of things to say, but here are a few pictures that sum up her personality and some of the things she loves! We love our sweet girl so much!













No comments:

The Burkett Bundle on WLTX