To start this story, I have to explain that my kids no longer like "kiddie" music. Sure, they'll sing "Jesus Loves Me" (which is a whole different post), "Rock-a-Bye Baby" and things like that, but when they're in the car (or playing on the Wii), they want pop music. Their favorites are:
Hot and Cold - Katy Perry
Hey You - Avril Lavigne
Jump in the Line - Harry Belafonte (yes, this one is old, I know)
Who Let the Dogs Out - Baha Men
Just the Way You Are - Bruno Mars
Jin Go Lo Ba - Fatboy Slim
Mean - Taylor Swift
Jump - Kris Kross (funny enough, dancing to this song was the first time Kyran ever laughed!)
Tik Tok - Ke$ha
I Like to Move It - Reel 2 Real
So, we sing these songs in the car a lot, and they love to give me concerts, with anything they can find to use as a microphone. They usually go back and forth with a medley of all of these songs.
Ok. so, the next part of the story started in Chicago. I have worked a tiny bit on letters with the kids, and they have a video that they watch with letters and sounds, but I wasn't really sure it was sinking in until our trip. Lincoln and Ayla had letter magnets on the refrigerator and Kyran kept coming up to me and telling me what letter he was holding...and he was right every time!
When we got home, we watched the video some more, and broken out their refrigerator magnets that sing about letters and sounds. Within a week, both kids recognized all of their letters and could tell us the sounds the letters made. I realized quickly they also knew their lowercase letters too and that Kyran could spell his name, from memorizing the letters over his bed!
So, they love to play with their magnets and watch any shows that have to do with words or letters. They also love to sing about the letters. They know two different tunes of the alphabet song, and will sing the song about the letter sounds from their video - "The A says aaahh, The B says buh, etc." They also do the "Give me a Y sound" cheer for all of the letters.
Last night, as we were getting them ready for bed, I was cuddling with Kyran, who was singing random songs. He suddenly looked at his name and said, "Who let the K out? kuh, kuh, kuh." I started cracking up. Between the two of us, we went through the whole alphabet like that! This morning, he woke up singing it some more.
I love my smart, creative kids!!
No comments:
Post a Comment