Friday, December 28, 2012

4-Year Check-Up

Ok, I'll start with yesterday and hopefully work backwards to hit everything I've missed in the last month and a half plus.

We had the four-year well check-up yesterday. I can imagine that this is a bad check-up for all kids and parents, but with twins, it was nearly impossible.

First, they were weighed and measured.

Karyssa:
Weight: 32 pounds (24%)
Height: 36 3/4 inches (4%) (I'm pretty sure she was slouching. She's more than 1/4 inch taller than Kyran.)

Kyran:
Weight: 30 pounds (5%) This, I believe, was the first time he'd ever been on the charts for weight!
Height: 36 1/2 inches (5%)

Then, the nurse asked us some questions. Pretty easy, and Karyssa even made us laugh. She looked at the nurse and said, "My name is K-a-r-y-s-s-a. Can you write it down?" It was hilarious!

Next, I had the privilege of getting urine samples from my four-year-olds. That actually went a little better than I expected it too, but we almost had a major mishap.

The actual check-up with the doctor went very well. They sat still and laid still for her while she listened and looked and felt and saw that everything was normal. It's hard to believe after practically living in her office for the first year that we had not seen her since March. As usual, she said they are perfect!

After that, they did the vision screen. This consisted of me standing on one end of a hallway with both kids, covering one's eye, and the nurse pointing at shapes on a chart at the other end. Karyssa tried to help Kyran cheat by going down by the nurse and calling out one of the shapes to him. They both got silly toward the end, and it showed them at 20/40, which Dr. B. said is very normal for four-year-olds.

Then came the hearing screen. They were so tired of being there at that point that, even though I kept the other one out so that they wouldn't be a distraction, they both were too distracted to pay attention and failed. Dr. B. said this is also completely normal, but since they've been checked so much and aren't having any problems with their speech, she's not worried about it.

Next was the finger prick and two shots (which they said until about a month ago would have been five shots). Kyran was pretty brave, and just cried a little, sitting on my lap the entire time. While Kyran had his turn, Karyssa crawled under the examination table and cowered, crying because she didn't want to go. Just like her mommy, she hates shots! Her finger prick was bad enough, that the nurse who was outside heard her screaming and came in to help. (I think the people in the building across the parking lot probably heard her.) It took all three of us to get her on the table and laying down so that the nurse could actually do the shots, and she was screaming so loudly that Kyran started crying more for her than when he got his own shots. They did both cheer up a little when they got to pick two things from the treat box. Karyssa picked a pink teddy bear and a ring, and Kyran picked purple and blue crayon-shaped bubbles (and said, "Because blue and red make purple!").

We finally got dressed and out of there, and headed to McDonald's to meet Shaunna and Blythe for some ice cream and playing time!

Brave Karyssa

Brave Kyran

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It's still crazy to me that our babies are 4!!! I just can't believe it. Sounds like the appointment was a busy one, but a good one. So glad it went well!!! I think MK and Karyssa are close to the same size. :)

The Burkett Bundle on WLTX