Monday, June 22, 2015

One Year Updates and Other News

I am so behind, seeing that Gemma has been one-year-old for two weeks now!

Birthday

On her birthday, we took her to our fabulous photographer friend to finish her one-year portraits. Gemma didn't cooperate that well either time, but Katie was able to get wonderful photos anyway! I will post those soon.

That night, I had a meeting, so I stayed until 6:02 p.m. (her birth time), and headed out. When I got home, she was sleeping, so I nursed her and held her for quite a while before putting her back to bed.

I'll post more about her birthday party soon.




Check-Up

Two days later, we had her one-year check-up and everything looks perfect! Here are her stats:

Weight: 15 lb, 13 oz (3%)
Height: 27 in (2%)
Head circumference: 44cm (25%)

Like all of my babies, the head is far ahead of height and weight. I think it's those big brains! Gemma is only 5 oz heavier and one inch taller than Karyssa was at the same age. I guess I just make tiny babies!

Dr. B. said that she'd like to see her walking at 15 months, but that they won't be worried until 18 months. Right now, she has no interest in standing on her own. If I try to stand her up, she collapses her legs underneath her. She stands just fine holding onto things, and I've even tricked her into standing on her own for a few seconds. As soon as she realizes what she is doing, she sits down.

Verbally, Gemma is meeting 15-month milestones already! She has several words with different consonant and vowel sounds.

Overall, Dr. B. says she is perfect!!

Sippy Cup

The only concern we had at the appointment was that she wouldn't drink out of a sippy cup. I'm not sure if I ever blogged about it or not, but Gemma stopped taking the bottle from me very early on. Then between 6-8 months, she stopped taking it from Jason, then my mom. This was certainly a little stressful for me, since my supply seemed to be getting lower.

We were able to make it to a year nursing at each feeding (we're still doing 3 times/day), but when we tried to start her on the cup, she had no interest in that either. She would, however, drink from it if I gave it to her as an open cup, so I knew she liked the milk. I was beginning to think that I'd be nursing her forever! Dr. B. assured us that with practice she would get it.

One week later, she would still only drink as an open cup. So, mean mommy strikes. I gave her a couple of sips of it open and then put the top on. She screamed. She screamed so loudly that Kyran started crying and begging me to give it to her. I told him that I couldn't yet. He was very, very upset. Gemma cries so rarely that the kids are very concerned when she does.

As I suspected, though, after about five minutes of screaming, Gemma picked up the cup and started drinking! Now she will drink from it at every meal with no issues! She can even hold her arms up high enough to get most of it out.

When Karyssa and Kyran were her age, I would still nurse them and supplement before each meal. This way, they were done with their milk before they started eating their food. With Gemma, she gets it all at once, and I love seeing her decide if she's more hungry or thirsty and choose if she wants food or milk.


Teeth

Gemma is cutting six teeth right now! Four up top, and two that are just hardening in the bottom! While she does cry a little more than usual recently, she is a trooper to have so many teeth coming in!



Movie

Last summer, we didn't do much. I was trying to get Gemma on a good schedule before the kids started school, and she slept a lot! This summer, I promised myself I would get out of the house more with them. The main problem is that it has been so hot that we don't like to go outside.

So, last Tuesday, we invited Kyran's best friend and her mother (also one of my favorite people) to go see a movie with us. I thought Gemma might fall asleep, but knew if she didn't, that Mary would be able to watch my kids in the theater while I took her out. Gemma was amazing! She ate puffs while the rest of us ate popcorn, then danced a little to one of the songs, before putting her head on my shoulder. She didn't sleep, but she did lie on me or Mary for the entire rest of the movie.

Then she also did a great job when we went to lunch afterwards. She slept the entire afternoon that day!

Jumping Jacks

Then on Thursday, we met Shaunna, Blythe and Grant at Jumping Jacks. Again, Gemma didn't nap, but she was pretty good while we were there. The kids had a blast playing (although they did work up a sweat in the air-conditioning), and then we went to Chick-fil-A for lunch. Again, she slept the entire afternoon once we got home!




Two More Things...

Gemma's new game is to grab your nose. If you don't start "honking", she'll do it for you! So cute! Until she starts trying to rip it off, anyway!

Just yesterday, Gemma started clapping for the first time! I said "Yay, Gemma", and she started bringing her hands together!

She is growing and changing so quickly!

I'm hoping to post more updates tomorrow! Stay tuned!



No comments:

The Burkett Bundle on WLTX