I have lists...everywhere. Somewhere, there is a list of all of the things I want to blog about. It is buried under piles of papers of other work that I have to do. I'm trying to get better. I used to keep lists because I loved to check things off (yes, I'm totally Monica), but now I keep them because I can't remember what I'm supposed to do half of the time.
Have you ever picked up your phone and forgotten why? It used to be that I picked up my phone to call someone. Now, when I pick up my phone, I can call someone, check my email, check the weather, do my grocery shopping, plan meals for the week, text someone, play a game, check Facebook...you get the picture. My phone and my life are so full of apps and open browser windows.
I sit down at my computer to work on a blog, or a project, and get bombarded with notifications, email requests, Facebook messages, and other things that I need to do, and sometimes never get around to doing what I sat down to do.
And this summer it feels worse, because during the time that I'm sitting, I'm not spending that time with my kids who are actually home.
So, here is a good list. A list of some of the cute and amazing things that Gemma has said and done recently. She is changing so much, and growing up so much and I'm loving every second of it!
1. She still loves to "rock, rock" before bed. She also always reminds me to brush her teeth, and she's getting good at rinsing and drinking water out of Karyssa's little cup.
2. When Karyssa did her cooking camp, she brought home food every day, and shared it with us. Beginning on the second day of camp, when we went to pick Karyssa up, Gemma would say, "I eat cooking camp!" This week Karyssa did cheerleading camp. When we got back in the car from dropping her off, Gemma said, "Where'd Kasyssa go?" I told her cheerleading camp and she seemed satisfied. Then when we went to pick Karyssa up, Gemma said, "I eat cheerleading camp!" Kyran and I cracked up!
3. On Tuesday, she was playing with Kyran (who she now sometimes calls Kyran and sometimes calls Dude), and held up a toy sheep. She said to him, "Do you know what this is? It's a sheep!" So not only is she recognizing her animals, she's starting to quiz her brother on his.
4. That evening I was warming up meatballs (with cheer camp and VBS this week, we've been eating a lot of leftovers), and as I was putting them on her plate, she asked, "How many meatballs on my plate?" She counted four, and when I pointed out 5 and 6, said those too. (She can now counts correctly from 1-4 and 8-14. Not sure what's going on with 5-7!)
5. We went to Belk the other day and she kept pointing to everything she saw, "What are these?" The clerks made a big deal over how cute she was, and she just ate it up!
6. We have a friend who has a salt and pepper beard. He does a Donald Duck voice, so Gemma knows him pretty well! She loves to watch YouTube videos of baby animals and one of them had a duck laying on a man and all you could see was his shoulder and beard. She said, "That duck sleep on Mr. Bobby!" I was the only one around that time, but I definitely cracked up!
7. She loves to walk, and is usually very good about hand-holding. She did try to run away from me the other day, and I hope I convinced her that it's not a good thing to do.
8. I'm starting to see some of the defiance of the "terrible twos" and her testing limits. She does like to tell me "no" sometimes, and is very confident in asserting her "stop its".
9. Gemma is still drinking out of sippy cups (and will be for a while), but she is getting pretty good at drinking from Karyssa's little open cup in the bathroom when she's done brushing her teeth. She has also taken medicine from an open cup with no issues.
10. Her new favorite game is tag. She'll say, "Let's play tag," then start to run, saying, "You can't catch me!".
11. She also likes to tell us, "Don't touch me!", which makes me a little sad, but also happy that she knows how to tell people to stay away.
12. She has started playing independently a lot, and loves to make believe! She also wants to "read" her books on her own now instead of having me read to her.
13. She is obsessed with the Shawn Mendes song "Stitches". When she hears it in the car, she gets excited, and now she loves to watch the video too. The first time we watched the video, she started dancing, so we were watching her. Then, randomly it seemed, she would lie down on the ground. Then she'd get back up and do it again. We were very confused until Kyran pointed out that is what he does in the video. She was lying down when he would get "knocked over" and getting up when he got up. Now she asks, "Watch kisses?" constantly!
14. Speaking of songs, she has several others that she likes. Some she knows the names of (Sugar, Shake it Off), and others she makes up names for. For the ones she likes but doesn't have a name for, she asks, "What's this song?" every time it plays! So cute!
15. We are working on saying "Please" consistently, and she will sometimes do it without prompting, which is great. When she forgets, I can usually just raise an eyebrow at her and she smiles and says it so sweetly. She also sometimes still does the sign for it, which is really the only sign we ever taught her since she was speaking so early.
I'm always amazed if any of you get this far and have read the whole thing. If so, I know you must really love my children!
No comments:
Post a Comment