I'll admit, I was scared.
When I found out I was pregnant, I was scared. Not only scared because of the risk of premature birth, but scared of another baby.
For five years, all I heard is how lucky I was that my kids were such easy babies. That most babies don't sleep through the night so early. That most babies cry a lot more than mine. That it's a shame I wouldn't have another one to see what a "real" baby was like. (Yes, someone actually said that to me once.)
Now, very few people thought that having twins was easy (or at least not after having their second child), but all I heard over and over again is how lucky I was.
In my mind, I also remembered the time that went into having newborns. Two and a half hours of feeding every three hours, diaper changes, baths, and then just the time that I only wanted to hold them or sit and look at them.
So, I prepared myself.
I made no plans for this summer. It was going to be me and the kids and the baby, just adjusting to this new life. Jason's dad wanted us to go to the beach. My mom wanted us to go to Florida. I said no, because I just knew how hard the summer was going to be without adding travel plans and new places.
Then Gemma came a couple of weeks early and that threw me for a loop. In my mind, I would be bringing a three-day-old baby home from the hospital. Instead, she was in the NICU. She was hooked up to oxygen and eating through a tube. We had no idea how long she would be there. It could be days, it could be weeks. And then, literally all of a sudden, she was coming home.
I braced myself, waiting for this newborn to come home and cry all day and scream all night.
I'm still waiting.
Gemma is not as "easy" as her brother and sister were.
She's easier.
Yes, she does occasionally get fussy, but it has always been something we've been able to find an answer to (usually gas). As soon as we got the ok to let her sleep at night, she was going 6-7 hours between feedings immediately. I put her down awake for naps, and she sleeps for two hours.
She eats easily and quickly. Two and a half hour feedings have turned into 15 minute feedings, and lots of cuddle time. She does get gas, but gas drops are magic. Her awake time is getting longer after each feeding, and she loves her activity gym, her bouncy chair, her swing and my lap, and hates tummy time.
She smiles a lot and gives me "knowing" looks. It's almost like she's trying to tell me something with her eyes. I know that sounds weird, but I think she already knows how much I love her.
She occasionally wakes up at night needing her pacifier, but falls right back asleep and so do I.
We sometimes put her in her swing and forget she's there. I know that sounds awful, but she is such a relaxed, content baby that she usually only makes happy noises.
Our transition has been nearly seamless. It's like we've had her forever.
Now, I don't know why these three have been such happy babies (Isabella was a pretty easy baby and is a pretty easy toddler, too). Maybe because God knows that we need our sleep. Maybe He knows we've had other challenges, so he's helping us out in this area. Maybe because Jason and I are fairly relaxed parents. Maybe because of the schedule that they've been on. Maybe a little of everything.
What I know is that I am so thankful for Gemma. I would love her crying all day and screaming all night. I thank God, though, for letting her be so happy and healthy. I thank God for letting her be her. I thank God for letting her be here.
No comments:
Post a Comment