I'd seen and heard stories about PTO moms and that small child in me began to worry. Would I fit in? Would it affect the way the kids were treated by the other moms' children?
Then, on the third day of school, I looked next to me while I was waiting in the parking lot to pick up my kids. I saw a woman with the biggest smile on her face, waving a finger at her beautiful daughter who was right by the door. I asked her what grade her daughter was in and in whose class, and as it turned out, she was in Kyran's.
We talked a little that day, and in the days that followed. Eventually, the kids just knew that they would have extra time to play after school because Mary and I would talk for a while. This became one of the highlights of my day.
Over time, I realized how much alike we were in our views on parenting and how we led our lives. I also realized that, since her two boys were a good bit older than her daughter, she was the mom I would be in a few years when Gemma starts school. Speaking of Gemma, Mary was one of the most consistent people in her life for that entire school year, since she saw her almost every day. Now, Gemma will jump from my arms to be held by her.
On days that it rained, Mary went in to bring my kids out, so that I wouldn't have to bring Gemma out in the rain. When I was keeping friends' children, Mary would always help with them, too.
Here was this smart, cool, sweet, experienced, popular mom. A mom with so many great qualities that I hope my kids see in me. And she seemed to like me as much as I liked her.
And then there was her daughter. A true angel, I believe. And just as good a friend as her mother. Kyran thinks she is the prettiest, sweetest and smartest girl he's ever known. And she likes him as much as he likes her. When he would fall, she would rush over to help him up and make sure he was ok. I don't think this child has ever said a mean word to anyone, and she and Kyran won the hearts of everyone they met.
From the beginning, we knew that they would be leaving at some point. Her husband's job requires lots of moves and one could come at any time. The news still came as a shock, and Kyran and I have shed quite a few tears together since we heard the news this summer.
They are moving to Australia. Next week. The movers came Monday and they will leave next Wednesday.
I don't think that Mary and her daughter will ever know quite the impact they made on us. The acceptance and love that they made us feel. I don't think I could ever put that into words.
In a few years, they plan to move back, and my hope is that they retire here. This family makes the world a better place, and while I know that there is someone in Australia who needs them as much as we did, I don't ever want to forget how much better they made our world, too.
They will be so missed, but I thank God for Facebook and Facetime and all of the other ways that we can keep in touch.
Kindergarten zoo field trip!
End of the year slideshow!
Bowling Party!
Playing after school
Loving Gemma!
Birthday Play Date
We thought so much alike we even dressed alike a couple of times!
This is the smile I will miss so much every day!




No comments:
Post a Comment