Wednesday, December 30, 2015

Seven!!

How can these sweet, wonderful children be seven already?






I asked them that the other day and told them that it seems like just yesterday that they were babies. Kyran replied, "Not to us. To us it feels like it has been a long time."

Of course it does. To them, it has been their entire lives.

They also told me that they don't remember much before they were three or four. And I was so thankful for this blog. This place where they can go to see what we did and who they were as little people. (And it made me want to start keeping track of even more for Gemma!)

I'm constantly amazed that people still read this blog, seven years later. When people text or comment about things I've written, it lets me know how loved these kids still are. But as I've mentioned before, I'm so excited about the kids reading this. The kids having this for when their children are little and they want to see similarities in their personalities and actions.

Seven to me seems so much older than six. I think I say the same thing every year, but this year it's even more extreme. While my earliest memories are from when I was 2.5, and I do have many other memories before 7, the memories I have from 7 on are the most vivid.

They have become so independent, and can understand the hard answers to most of the questions they ask. They understand life and death. They know how to do most things by themselves. They can even figure out things on their Kindles and the Wii faster than I can at times.

They are kind, responsible, honest and forgiving.

Kyran loves his Wii and all things Mario. Karyssa will occasionally play with him, but for the most part, he plays alone. He stopped playing with toys this year. Almost completely. He'll still put on the occasional "play", but would rather play the Wii, watch TV, read, draw, write stories, and play board games. He is reading on a fourth grade level. His spelling and grammar are better than half of the adults I know. He knows not to correct adults, though! He multiplies, divides, and adds and subtracts fractions in his head. He loves school. He loves the learning and the socialization, and really loves his teachers.

Even bigger than his intellect is his heart. He truly loves people. He tends to get hurt easily, but also forgives easily (he never truly forgets, though). He goes out of his way to compliment people and make them feel good.

Karyssa loves to draw, read (especially to Gemma), watch TV, play on her Kindle and play with her dolls. She has four "kids" now, who she gets ready for school each morning and picks up each afternoon. She is such a maternal person, and is always quick to volunteer to help entertain Gemma. She is also an excellent reader, already reading on a second grade level, and her math skills have really taken off this year. She loves learning and spending time with friends at school. She works hard on her homework and studies well for her tests.

She has a servant's heart and is always ready to help anyone who needs it (and sometimes even if they don't). She likes to help with chores around the house and with yard work. Her teachers are constantly commenting on how helpful she is in class. She sets a great example for everyone around her.

They love each other, Gemma, their parents and Jesus with all of their hearts.

They respect Jason's and my rules and won't even eat candy from my mom without asking my permission. Last night, I wrapped gifts for their cousins and put them under the tree. I told Jason that I knew they would be safe. This morning, when we woke up, they asked what they were. I asked if they had looked at the tags and they said they wouldn't even touch them until we gave them permission. I hope they always think like that!

They were sad that they wouldn't be at school on their birthday, so we had a play date at a local park, and many of their friends came out. What a great play date!























Even Gemma had a great time!


She saw Santa across the street and started saying, "Ho Ho Ho", so Jason took her over there.






That evening, my family came over and we did cake and presents.












While I'm not a fan of them being closer to college-age and leaving, I do believe that seven is going to be an amazing year! I love these big kids with all of my heart!!

No comments:

The Burkett Bundle on WLTX