Tuesday, December 1, 2015

My Best Friend

If you're one of my five blog readers, you know that my parents are getting divorced and that I'm not dealing with it well. I do not believe in divorce. I do think there are a few very extreme reasons that make a divorce the only option. While this is not an excuse, I have done much thinking and have come up with a lesson for my children, and one for myself as well. It all comes down to this thought.

I cannot imagine my husband not being my best friend.

I can't imagine him not being the place that I know I can turn to for support, advice, and love. I can't imagine him not being the first person I want to call when anything good or bad happens. I can't imagine him not being the person who makes me smile the most, laugh the most, and feel the most secure, protected, and loved. I can't imagine not believing the same things. I can't imagine not having the same ideas on parenting. I can't imagine not liking most of the same foods. I can't imagine not enjoying most of the same type of television, sports, and movies. I can't imagine a hug from him not melting away my stresses and fears.

This is not to say that Jason and I have a "perfect" marriage. Despite everything above, we are still the people who occasionally frustrate each other the most, and disagree, forcefully but respectfully, on a few topics.

What I am saying is that I am so thankful that I waited for Jason. I am so thankful that I did not choose marriage until I knew that I had found the one that God put on this earth for me.

My children, when you are old enough to read and understand this, please, please wait. There will be pressure from friends, society, a significant other, and probably other places, but wait. This doesn't mean it won't happen when you're younger, but if it doesn't, IT IS WORTH THE WAIT.

In a world where so many think that divorce is ok, or worse, inevitable, you can make it work. It does take work, but you can do it, and I pray that you will.

For me, I need to let Jason know every day that he is my earthly rock. That life without him would be terrifying. That I love him more than anything else on this earth. And I will...forever.

No comments:

The Burkett Bundle on WLTX