Sunday, April 17, 2016

NICU Reunion

Two years ago, the NICU where Kyran and Karyssa spent the first eight weeks of their lives hosted a reunion. I don't think I ever blogged about it, so here are a few pictures.



I mostly remember patting my belly and telling all of the nurses and doctors that they "wouldn't get this one." Best-laid plans...

Last weekend, they hosted another reunion and all three of our graduates were able to go. They do such a good job with the planning, food and entertainment! Cocky was there again this year and so was the Clemson tiger this time. They had the same Christian-based puppet show that Gemma just loved!

And, of course, it's always nice to see everyone.

So many other graduates who are thriving, including Morgan Kate Callahan, whose mom's blog helped me get through our NICU time. I've also met several other friends along the way whose kids are also graduates, and many of them were there as well.

The nurses, doctors and respiratory therapists are always so excited to see the kids and to hear how they're doing. Dr. C, who admitted all three of them to the NICU was a definite favorite!

While we were there, another set of boy/girl twins were there. They were six weeks old and so tiny that I thought they must be about three pounds. Nope. They were five pounds each, and had already been home for two weeks. As I looked at these itty-bitty little babies, it was so hard to believe that my big seven year olds were just barely bigger than half their size. Karyssa, who dropped to 2 lb, 8 oz, at one point was less than half their weight, and Kyran at the lowest of 3 lb, 2 oz, was two whole pounds smaller than them.

What? How?

I think my brain must have blocked out how tiny and fragile they really were. To me, they've always been these tough, resilient kids who can make it through anything. We are so, so blessed to have these healthy, happy children. I'm so thankful for them and for the reminders like this reunion that I get every so often.

















No comments:

The Burkett Bundle on WLTX