Friday, August 19, 2011

Red Sox!

If you know me, you know I love the Red Sox.  This is a love that I am proud to pass along to my kids. 

I remember after Game 7 of the ALCS in 2003 - where the Red Sox, who had come closer to making the World Series than they had in many, many years, melted down, losing the game and the series to a walk-off home run to none other than the New York Yankees - calling my dad to yell at him for making me a Red Sox fan. 

If you follow baseball, you know that the next year, the Red Sox came out of nowhere to get the Wild Card spot in the playoffs, were about to lose the ALCS, again to the Yankees, and then made the most unlikely comeback in sports history to go to and sweep the World Series for their first championship in 86 years. 

Three years later, when they went back to (and again swept) the World Series, my dad and I flew to Colorado and back in 24 hours, so that we could be at Game 3.  What an amazing experience!

This being said, if they had not won any championships, I would still be proud to pass this love on to my kids.  I learned a lot by being a Red Sox fan before 2004 (along with being a Buccaneers, Dolphins and Gamecocks fan growing up).  I learned about perseverance, being a good loser, and bonding over good and bad games and years with my family and fellow fans.

The Red Sox have not won a championship in my children's lifetime.  I'm hoping that changes very soon, but if not, they will learn many of the same lessons that I have. 

I've realized, in sports and many other aspects of my life, that not only do good things come to those who wait, but when they do come, they are so much better than you could ever have imagined. 

On our Florida trip, we took the kids to their third MLB game, and second Red Sox game.  The Red Sox lost.  I may not always remember whether they lost, but I will remember having a great time with my kids, and the excitement in their eyes when we got excited.  They loved clapping along to the music and cheering on the players. 

Getting ready

The girls in their Red Sox gear

My big man wanted to walk in by himself!

So did Karyssa, of course!

Posing with the Tampa Bay Mickey.  They loved him!


That's a big pretzel!


Harmony even painted the big girls' nails!

Sleepy boy!  (You know you're a mom when you can use a public bathroom with a 25-pound baby boy in your arms and not even cause him to stir!)



Five adults, one teenager and six kids under six at a Red Sox game!  What a great night!

No comments:

The Burkett Bundle on WLTX