Monday, September 5, 2011

Catching Up and Forget Me Nots

I'm starting to understand why people stop blogging.  Not that I have any intention of stopping, but this feeling of being so far behind on everything certainly makes the idea of catching up very daunting.  I sit down to write, and my head just swims with information.  I have too much in my head to get my thoughts organized right now.  Fortunately, I've been keeping some notes of cute "Forget Me Not" moments, so here are a few of those:

1.  While we were at the beach, the kids loved playing Just Dance on the Wii.  The older kids would exclaim "I won!" after each dance.  Now, when any dance song comes on the radio, Kyran shouts, "I won!" after the song.   

2.  I made a mixed CD of songs for them on both the Hilton Head trip and the Chicago/Michigan trip.  The CD was full of a lot of their favorite songs that play on the radio.  (Some of you may be fine listening to VeggieTales and Mickey Mouse on long trips, but this mommy can't take it).  The three most requested songs on the CD are "Mean" by Taylor Swift, "I Like to Move It", and "Tik Tok" by Ke$ha.  The kids had fallen asleep while the CD was playing, but when "Tik Tok" came on, Kyran opened his eyes, gave a big grin, shook his head back and forth a couple of times and promptly fell back asleep.

3.  We left Friday evening for Chicago, and made it to our hotel in Knoxville around midnight.  It had apparently rained there, so when we parked, the truck next to us had some water drops on it.  As I got Karyssa out of the car, she looked at the truck and said, "Mommy, that car is wet.  Should we dry it?".  What a sweet, thoughtful girl!

4.  The next day, we stopped at the Travelers Stop in Kentucky, which is also an artisan center.  Because of all of the breakable things, I warned the kids not to touch anything on the way to the bathroom.  Kyran took my warning to mean that we had to be quiet too.  He turned to us and whispered, "We have to be quiet."  Jason and I kept talking, so he turned and said, "Shhhh!".  When we continued to talk, he turned to me and said "Hush your mouth!".  I guess I say that a little too much to Bella, so I explained that we don't say that to people.  We were laughing for at least 20 minutes after that, though. 

5.  While in Michigan, we stayed with Jason's Uncle Dan and Aunt Becky.  Kyran and Karyssa were crazy about them, especially Becky, who Karyssa (although she can say Becky perfectly) insisted on calling Aunt Facky.  Kyran must not have liked the nickname too much, because after a while, he turned to her and said, "It's not aunt Facky, it's aunt Becky. You know that!"  Too funny!

6.  At Jason's grandmother's house, there was a bowl full of M&Ms.  Karyssa asked me if she could have some, so I gave her two.  Now, most kids would have shoved both of them in their mouth, and not given a thought to anyone else.  Not Karyssa, though.  She put one in her mouth, held the other one up and asked, "Can I give this to Kyran?"  I'm continually impressed with her consideration of her brother and other people!

7.  Jason's Aunt Connie was also one of their favorites on the trip.  She played Hide and Go Seek with them for quite a while one night.  The next morning, we went to a local diner for breakfast.  Connie walked in and Kyran took one look at her in her seat and said, "Go hide!"  We've decided that's a nice way of telling someone to get lost!

8.  Karyssa and Kyran are demonstrating their nurturing sides a lot with each other recently.  They like to pretend to change each other's diapers, and will also pretend to put band aids on each other, and then kiss the boo-boos.  

9.  Spending the week with their older cousins, Ayla and Lincoln, they picked up a lot of good things.  They also picked up some bad habits and got some not so great ideas from them.  Ayla and Lincoln could climb into the pack and plays, so Kyran and Karyssa realized that they could step on their cousins' toy box and climb in themselves too.  Karyssa became obsessed with getting in hers by herself.  On the last night of our trip, we stayed in a hotel in West Virginia.  The next morning when we woke up, the kids were playing together, and Karyssa climbed from her pack and play into Kyran's.  This may have been the last trip for them in their pack and plays!

10.  While driving through the mountains, Jason made up a game where they had to tell him which way to turn.  He'd ask, "To the left or the right?", and they would answer the best they could.  After a while, they started getting silly.  Whenever Kyran would answer, Karyssa would tell him, "Not to the right, to the left silly boy!" and then Kyran would say, "No, to the right silly girl!".  I love how they interact together and playfully tease each other!

There are more stories and pictures coming soon, I promise!

No comments:

The Burkett Bundle on WLTX