Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Snug as a Bug in a Rug...

I am a rule follower. Sure, I misbehaved as a child, and acted out a little as a teenager, but for the most part, I was, and still am, a goody-two-shoes.

People used to tell me “You’re going to have a kid just like you one day”. My answer has always been, “Give me 10 kids like me”. And then I met my husband. Jason is a preacher’s kid, and lived up to the reputation. Yes, he’s as mature and responsible as I could hope for now, but as a kid, he was definitely not a rule-follower. Now, my response is, “Give me 10 kids like me, but if one turns out like Jason, I’m in trouble”.

All of this to say, when the pediatrician tells me something about my kids, 99 percent of the time, I’m going to comply. (It helps that she is the mother of preemie twins herself).

She said no bumpers, my kids have no bumpers. She said nurse as long as you can, I went 16 months. She said limit the juice, my kids still, at almost three, don’t drink juice. You get the picture.

So, when she told us not to use blankets or pillows in the crib, of course I didn't. My kids have always slept so well, in their cribs, with no blankets, pillows, stuffed animals or lovies. I do give them a soft book to look at during nap time. Even though I know it’s perfectly safe now, they were comfortable and I had no plans to change our routine.

Last month, we went to Chicago to visit my Aunt Harmony and her family. She laughed at me when I asked about bringing long-sleeved shirts and pants, so imagine my surprise when I realized Nathan kept the thermostat set at 68. Some people might think that’s comfortable. My kids and I were cold!

The first night, Kyran woke up crying very loudly. When I went in to check on him, he told me he was cold. I didn't have any warmer pajamas for him, so for the first time, I covered him with a blanket. For the first time ever, I tucked him in, “snug as a bug in a rug”.

I wasn't sure if he’d remember the next day, but when it was time for his nap, he asked for his blanket and wanted to be tucked in. Of course, Karyssa was up now too, so she also wanted her blanket and to be tucked in.

They loved it. They giggled, and snuggled up under the blanket. But, somehow, I think I loved it more. I've realized that certain things, no matter how small they may seem, make me “feel” more like a mommy. This was one of those things.

Now that we’re home, the temperature is more to our liking and they have appropriate pajamas. They don’t always want to be tucked in, but they do want their blankets in the crib with them. And I have one more happy, mommy memory.

No comments:

The Burkett Bundle on WLTX