Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Visit to Granddad's

Jason took Friday and Monday off, and we headed up to visit his dad.  Tammy and Carey also came up, so we got to spend some nice family time.

Friday was a pretty relaxing day, but Saturday we took a "quick" trip to Ocracoke Island, where Tammy and Carey will be getting married soon!  The drive was about 3 or 3.5 hours, complete with a ferry ride.  Last summer, they were too young to really get excited about being on a boat, but this time, they loved it!  Kyran kept saying "We're on a boat, in the lotion".  I guess "lotion" and "ocean" are the same thing to a two-year-old! 

What a ham!

Hanging out with Aunt Tammy

"Cheesing" with Mommy

Looking out at the "lotion"

We got lots of wedding planning done and had a great lunch at one of the local restaurants.  Overall, we were gone for about 12 hours, most of it in the car.  After that day, and the 12-hour round trip to Granddad's over the weekend, I am very much aware of how blessed we are with kids who like to travel.  They were SO GOOD! 


Taking quick cat naps in the car (yes, my children are still rear-facing, a decision which was reinforced by this video that came out this week.)


After arriving at Granddad's at 2:00 a.m. Friday, not taking a real nap Friday, Saturday or Sunday, they were exhausted.  So much so, that Karyssa actually fell asleep while she was eating!  I've seen videos of this happening with other kids, but never before has it happened with mine. 



We drove home Sunday night, and spent Monday packing and relaxing. 

One big piece of news is that Granddad is moving!  Now, instead of six hours away, he's only going to be 2.5 hours away!  We are so excited!

With this move, though, comes a lot of emotion.  He is selling the house where he and Grandma Darlene lived for almost 20 years.  I cried leaving the house Sunday, knowing it was most likely the last time I'd ever be there.  I can't imagine how hard this must be for him.

We are happy to have him so much closer now, and can't wait to visit him at his new house!

No comments:

The Burkett Bundle on WLTX