Tuesday, March 29, 2011

A Weekend of Firsts

Our weekend was full of firsts, the biggest one being Jason's and my first time away alone together since before Kyran and Karyssa were born. 

About two months ago, I began planning to go on a one-night retreat with the ladies from church.  I missed the last one, because it was two nights, and I just wasn't ready yet.  Since I am the women's ministry coordinator, though, I thought I should attend this one.  It was supposed to be for one night, 2.5 hours away, with Jason at home with the kids.  I thought it would be a fun girls' weekend.  Little did I know it was God's way of preparing me emotionally for what came next. 

Leave it to Jason to start work with a company and earn "Best of the Best" honors in his first year, something others have striven to do for entire careers with no avail.  While I am proud of him for working so hard, it forced me to make a decision I didn't want to make...the decision to leave my kids with someone else for an entire weekend. 

Now, that someone else was my mom, who knows these kids almost as well as I do.  Jason and I also definitely needed some time away as a couple.  And who can pass up a weekend stay at a Ritz Carleton, All Expenses Paid?!? 

I had not spent a night away from my children since the February 12, 2009.  I spent the month after finding out about the trip preparing myself emotionally.  I thought I was doing well, until bedtime the night before we left.  I started reading their bedtime story and lost it.  I could not stop crying or hugging my children.  Jason read the story, but Karyssa kept looking up at me saying, "Mommy sad?".  When I said yes, she would kiss me.  This happened about 10 times and it made it even harder to think about leaving them. 

Jason and Alison (who spent the night and took care of them on Friday while my mom worked) helped calm me down, and I was ok again until we left our driveway the next morning.  I cried for a while, but then really started looking forward to the trip. 

We arrived around Noon on Friday, and the valet unloaded our car and drove it away.  Our room wasn't quite ready, so we were told to have some lunch and they brought the bags up when the room was prepared.  We met up with another couple, Stephen (another manager in the area) and his wife, Robin for a delicious lunch by the pool.  Then it was time for my spa appointments.  I had a manicure and pedicure (very, very, very rare treats for me), and then Robin and I laid out by the pool while the boys played golf. 

My pretty toenails

In my Ritz Carleton robe

In front of the hotel

Posing by the sign

The view from our room...we could hear the steel drums from the pool!

There was a reception that night with lots of food, drinks and dancing.  I even did the electric slide and cupid shuffle right next to Kelly King, the CEO of BB&T!

Before the reception

On Saturday, we ordered room service for breakfast...

Complete with a rose...
then headed to downtown Fernandina Beach for some shopping and lunch on the waterfront.  We arrived back to the hotel and spent some time at the pool before getting ready and heading to the awards gala.  I can't remember the last time I dressed up two nights in a row, but it was so much fun! 

Downtown

The trolley that took us downtown

The gala took awhile because they recognized all (approximately) 150 employees who qualified for the trip.  It consisted of the top 5% of each business role within the organization.  Dinner was wonderful, and there was more drinks and dancing after dinner.  I also can't remember the last time I stayed up until 2:00 a.m. two nights in a row!


Sunday morning we woke up, ordered more room service and then packed our bags to head home.  Although I enjoyed my weekend immensely, I was ready to get home to my kids.  After a quick walk on the beach, we got our car and started the drive.

The hotel

Jason walking on the beach

Jason in front of the hotel...

And me in front of the hotel...(this is why I need to cut my hair short!)

We hit quite a bit of traffic on the way home, and the temperature dropped about 30 degrees on our trip.  I was so ready to walk in the door to hug my kids! 

I'm so proud of the work that Jason puts in, and so happy that he can do it without sacrificing precious time with our family!  Thank you, Jason, for a wonderful weekend!  Especially one where we only had to open our wallet to buy souvenirs!

The kids had such a great weekend with Grandmommy and Alison, I'm sure they won't mind if we go away again!  I'll post those pictures tomorrow!

One other MAJOR first for the weekend is that Karyssa pee-peed in the potty for the first time yesterday!!!  She said she had to go poopy, but after sitting for about 15 minutes waiting, she started to tinkle...and cry.  I immediately started cheering for her, and gave her a treat.  I'm still not going to push the potty training until this summer, but if she wants to do it on her own before then, I'm just fine with that!

1 comment:

Amy Brewer said...

This story brought some tears to my eyes - for sure. You're such an amazing mother and wife! I'm so glad that you got to spend some quality time with Jason and although it was tough to leave the kids for the night - it is such a big step forward....and they were certainly in good hands :)

The Burkett Bundle on WLTX