Thursday, November 17, 2011

The Preemies I Love

November 17, 2009:

I love Kyran for his shy, flirty smile, his big bear hugs, his "happy squeal", his "I'm in pain" cry, his warm eyes, his passion for food, his soft skin, his long eyelashes, his determination, his resilience, his patience, his belly laugh and far too many other things to name.

I love Karyssa for her big, bottom-teeth-showing smile, her tiny lips, the way she lays her head on my shoulder before bed time, because she knows I'll hold her a little longer, her angry cry, her delighted giggle, her dark, curious eyes, her silky skin, her I-can-do-it attitude, her persistence, and, again, far too many other things to name.

I know I reposted this last year on World Prematurity Day as well, but both years, when I've gone back to read what I wrote, I have been amazed at how much their personalities were already set when they were just 10 months old.  The only difference is that Karyssa now smiles more with her top teeth. 

I love that I knew my kids so well after such a short time.  I love that, as they continue to grow and change, some things don't.  I love how they sing.  I love how they play together and use their imaginations.  I love how they snuggle up next to me on the couch.  I love how they stroke my hair, pat my back and put their arms around me, because they want me to feel as loved and secure as they do when I do the same to them.  I love how they are learning to work through conflicts.  I love watching their eyes light up and hearing their little giggles when their favorite songs come on or they see one of their favorite people.  I love waking up to the sounds of them playing together.  I love how well they communicate.  I love their passion for learning.  I love hearing them pray.  I love hearing them say "I love you, Mommy." I love my kids. 

Three years ago, I was petrified for my children.  While I still worry about them (and always will), I never could have dreamed how amazing they would be.  They truly amaze me every day.  They are smart and funny and kind.  They are beautiful and friendly.  And I still can't believe they're mine. 

Tonight, I hosted a fundraiser for the March of Dimes, selling my premier jewelry and spending time with a lot of ladies in their best purple outfits. I sold a lot tonight, and I'm hoping more orders come in so that I can give even more to this great cause. It's the least I can do.

Every day, babies are being born too early.  We are some of the lucky ones.  We took home two healthy babies, who have only had minor delays.  While some parents are not so lucky, our outcome is becoming increasingly more common, thanks to the research done by the March of Dimes.

No comments:

The Burkett Bundle on WLTX