Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Forget Me Nots

These kids are doing and saying so many cute and amazing things, that it is impossible for me to write even half of it down.  Here are a few that I did get a chance to make a note of:

1.  About a month ago, I waited in line at the McDonald's drive-thru to get a much-loved McRib on the way to one of Jason's softball game.  We had been waiting for about 10 minutes, and my mind had started to wander.  It wandered so far that when the car in front of me pulled forward, so did I...right past the order window!  By the time I realized what I had done, the car behind me pulled forward, as did the five cars behind him, and there was no way to back up.  I'm telling you this, although I'd like to forget it, because what came next was priceless.  I groaned, and as she always does, Karyssa asked, "What's wrong, Mommy?".  I said, "Mommy's brain isn't working.", to which she quickly replied, "Does it need new batteries?".  Since then, I've explained to the kids that the way we "recharge our batteries" is to sleep, and they seem to understand that sleeping will make them happier.  Karyssa still frequently comes up to me, kisses me on the head, and tells me that she "just fixed my brain." 

2.  Kyran was sitting next to me on the couch a few weeks ago.  He looked up at me and asked, "Why am I sitting next to you, Mommy?".  I said I didn't know and he answered, "Because it makes you happy."  What an insightful little man!  A few days later, I asked Karyssa why she was sitting next to me, to see what she would say.  Her answer: "Because I love you."  (Do you see why my heart just wants to burst sometimes?)

3.  I try not to be an overprotective mom, but Karyssa gives me away.  Recently, whenever Kyran is doing something at all risky, she'll look at him and say "Be careful, Kyran. That's dangerous!". 

4.  Kyran is a bottomless pit.  Because he's so little, I let him eat until he tells me he's done.  He'll eat something, and then say, "Mommy, I want something else."  When I ask him what, he replies with something like, "Ummmmm, I think, maybe I want some, something in the pant-e-ry (pantry), ummmmm, let's see, maybe I want some _____________.  (The blank usually consists of either animal crackers, yogurt, Cheetos, rice cakes or something of that nature, until he's exhausted every option and eaten half of what is in our house. 

5.  Karyssa has started saying, "You forgot to..." instead of asking for things.  For instance, she'll say, "You forgot to get me some milk" or "You forgot to turn the TV on". It's quite amusing, but I'm working on getting her to ask for things. 

6.  The kids were taking turns cooking pretend meals for each other last week.  They sat down to eat the first time and Karyssa asked, "Can we pray?". They folded their hands and recited together, "Dear God, thank you for this food. Amen." They did this about four more times, and I almost started crying.

7.  Speaking of prayer, we haven't taught them any prayers.  We just say what we are thankful for and ask God for blessings and good night sleeps and things like that.  I guess they have heard their friends and cousins pray enough, though, because Monday night they both started praying, "God is great, God is good, Thank you for our food. Amen." It is amazing how much they remember!

8.  There is a window above our front door that, when the light hits it just right, puts rainbows all over our living room.  A few weeks ago, Karyssa saw one and said, "That looks like the rainbow when I was born." What she meant, I'll never know, but I certainly want to remember that she said it!

9.  Kyran has shown a lot of interest in the doctor kit that they got for their half-birthday recently.  He put the stethoscope around his neck and said to me, "I'm Dr. Kyran and I need to take your blood pressure."  Kyran, if you're talking about being a doctor, mommy's blood pressure is going to be just fine. 

10.  Karyssa took the syringe from the same kit and was using it like a medicine dropper.  (Both of them have fully recovered from their ear infections, and took their "cotton candy" medicine like champs, although Karyssa needed a little persuading.)

And here are a few recent pictures:

Doing the Hokey Pokey at church

Snuggling up with Molly at Aunt Tammy's house

They wanted to be close to each other, I guess!

More closeness!

And some dancing in the doctor's office!

Holding the bunny at their friend, Samantha's birthday party

Sliding down the hill in our yard

Kyran wanted a turn too!

Beauty

Her hair is getting so long...it's hard to tell when it's curly, but right out of the bath, you can see.

Dr. Kyran

Not quite sure they've completely figured out the see-saw!

Will you stop taking our pictures already???

No comments:

The Burkett Bundle on WLTX