Monday, April 13, 2009

Every day since December 21 has been just a little different. Each day has a little more meaning, a little more worries, a little more stress and a lot more love. Yesterday, I think, was the most different of them all.

I've always loved Easter. I love spending time with family, big dinners and lots of Easter candy. I especially love the reason for Easter - the ultimate sacrifice that led to my salvation and the salvation of those I love. But yesterday, that sacrifice meant more than ever.

In the first eight weeks of Karyssa and Kyran's lives, we watched them be poked, prodded, stuck, scanned and examined thoroughly. All of this was done, though, by those who cared for the babies and it was done as gently and pain-free as possible.

It still hurt to watch though. The one time that they said they could take my blood instead of Kyran's to get a match for a transfusion, I happily agreed. I would have given them all I had to spare my son the pain of another needle stick.

Knowing this pain that stems from the greatest love, I now have maybe one millionth of an understanding of what God went through, watching Jesus be tortured and murdered on the cross. I can't even begin to fathom the love He feels for us, to go through this ordeal, to offer up His life in the form of His only son.

I fell asleep last night, listening to my babies' sleeping noises, and thanking God for the ultimate sacrifice. One I know that I'm incapable of fully understanding, but one for which I will forever be grateful!

"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life." ~ John 3:16


The Burkett Family's first Easter - at Talyse's grandmother's house

Karyssa and Kyran with Great-Grandma - "GG"

No comments:

The Burkett Bundle on WLTX