Monday, June 15, 2009

We've all read the poem about when God created mothers, but in the last several months, I've learned a lot about why and how God created babies. Taking care of a baby prepares you for most of what you will deal with during that child's life. You learn:

1. Not to be grossed out by poop or throw up.
2. Patience like you've never known before.
3. Time-management skills.
4. The best ways to handle frustration.
5. How to give medicine, take temperatures and fix boo-boos.
6. What is really important in life.

The design is perfect. He puts these helpless, poopy, crying, frustrating, time-consuming and sometimes sick babies in your life, and makes them way too cute to be upset about dealing with it all! He makes their smiles so beautiful that they can erase a week's worth of crying. He makes their snuggles so warm and cozy that you forget about all of the diapers. He makes their eyes so bright that you easily disregard midnight feedings. He makes their laughs so magical that lack of sleep means nothing. He makes them just sleepy enough that by the time they wake up, you are ready to wake them up because you miss them so much already.

They are so sweet, cute and dependent on you that a bond forms that can never be broken. No matter what they put you through for the rest of their lives, you are prepared for it. You can look beyond the terrible twos, the moody pre-teen stage and the defiant teenage years.

I don't know what the future holds for my family, but I do know that God is preparing my heart and mind for whatever is in store. I praise Him for the smiles, snuggles, bright eyes and laughs, and also for the crying, diapers, feedings and lack of sleep.

2 comments:

Len and Carrie said...

Before having babies, I don't think I had ever even changed a diaper much less cleaned up puke or any other bodily secretion. But when they got here, I just knew. :)
So, I can totally relate to how you feel! :) When we brought the girls home, I couldn't wait to see them at their next (middle of the night) feeding. I would find myself missing them. At that time, I though it had a lot to do with the struggle that we had gone though to have them. But I was the same way with Bennie!! They all are true miracles!

The babies are getting so big and even more precious everytime I see them!! :)

Anonymous said...

They are precious! I love the picture of you and the babies. You all look so happy!

The Burkett Bundle on WLTX