Thursday, December 16, 2010

Forget-Me-Nots

As their second birthday rapidly approaches, I wanted to post more of the little things they are doing now that make me smile.

1.  I was sitting on the couch with Karyssa this morning.  She's pretty sick, and for a while, didn't want to be cuddled, but just sit next to me.  Then, completely out of the blue, SHE reached behind my back and put her arm around ME!  Oh my goodness, what a sweetheart!

2.  Also this morning, both kids were cuddled up on my lap, and Kyran reached out and took Karyssa's hand.  She usually will push his hand away, but this morning she held onto it, almost like they were shaking hands, then they did a fist bump and a high five, completely on their own. 

3.  They have started to share food.  They love to put food on each other's trays while they are eating.   Also, for several months now, they've known to put any food that they don't want into their cup holder on their tray.  This stops a lot of food from being thrown on the floor, much to Bella's dismay. 

4.  They have both started calling me out on my silly antics.  If I'm doing something crazy, they'll laugh and say "Silly mommy!".  (Kyran's sounds like "lilly mommy", possibly the cutest thing ever!  Kyran will just shake his head, but Karyssa has started trying to roll her eyes.  She basically just looks up with her eyes while keeping her head straight, but I know what she's trying to do, because unfortunately, she learned it from me. 

5.  They love to sing, sing, sing!  Their favorite songs right now are Jingle Bells, Old McDonald (Kyran), Jesus Loves Me, Rock-a-Bye Baby and Itsy Bitsy Spider.  They also love Frosty the Snowman, Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer and Little Drummer Boy now. 

6.  Every night at bedtime, we go into their room and they ask for the same books, Hop on Pop, Blue Hat, Green Hat and the Bible.  Sometimes they throw other books into the mix, too, but those are their favorites.  They have a certain routine they do with different pages in Hop on Pop, and they fill in many of the words, and sometimes tell me what's coming on the next page! 

7.  Recently, it's been so cold in the mornings that I get bundled up in my jacket, hat and gloves to take Bella outside.  When I come back in, Karyssa has started asking for my gloves.  When I put them on her, she says "Bella, outside!"   The other day she wanted my jacket and scarf too, and this was the result:


We went shopping the other day and she saw a pair of gloves.  She looked at Jason and said "Bella, outside?". She has also started saying "Cold, brrrr" when I come back inside.  I guess that's what I say and she has picked it up.  Last night, Jason asked her where something was, and she motioned for him and said "come on".  Wow!  The things they pick up!

8.  Yesterday, Kyran felt so bad that he actually asked me for a nap...two hours after he had woken up!  Karyssa followed us upstairs and also asked for one.  I put them down and they slept for 2.5 hours.  My mom reminded me that I always used to tell her when I was ready for bed too.  Maybe I'll get lucky and have kids "just like me". 

9.  In the past week, Kyran has started saying "Thank you" when you give him something and "Bless you, mommy" when I sneeze. 

10.  Tonight, Kyran and I and Jason and Karyssa danced around the bedroom to The Best Things Happen While You're Dancing from White Christmas.  It's not the first time that we've danced together like that, just the first time I've thought to write about it here.  We used to dance around our living room a lot when I was growing up, and I love that we've also started that tradition with our family. 

On another note, please be in prayer for my cousin Wendy.  She and her family lost everything in a house fire two nights ago.  She was home with her three children, and everyone made it out safely, but the house, all of their clothes, belongings and Christmas gifts are gone. 

I'm not sure if I've mentioned it on here before or not, but we lost almost everything in a house fire when I was 16, the same age as her daughter.  I know how devastating this is for them, but at the same time, I know that they will grow stronger and learn what is really important in life from this experience. 

No comments:

The Burkett Bundle on WLTX