Tuesday, December 21, 2010

It just hit me last night that my children were actually turning two today.  We've been practicing saying it for a couple of weeks now, and I've been telling everyone who asked, but it still hadn't sunk in. 

Two years old just seems so old.  I know those of you with teenagers or grown children just chuckled a little, but it seems that way to me now.  I remember the day they were born so vividly, but it seems like so long ago.  They have come so far and I get so emotional just thinking about the things I was scared about two years ago today. 

Just like last year, I was inspired to write a poem for them today.  It's a little longer, and a little sillier, but sometimes I express myself best in rhyme. 

Two years have passed since first we met
From babies to children you’ve grown.
I never knew the joy of watching this change,
Until I had children of my own.

From first smiles and laughs to first words and sentences,
You amaze me every day.
I never know what funny thing you will do,
Or what brilliant thing you’ll say.

You love each other and share a bond,
I never would have believed.
You’ve been best friends, as close as can be,
From the moment you were conceived.

Your eyes are piercing, big and brown,
So loving and curious,
They sparkle when you laugh and talk,
And when you’re being mischievous.

Sesame Street is your favorite,
Elmo, Abby and Grover,
You also love Mickey Mouse Clubhouse,
Though you won’t sit still ‘til they’re over.

You always want to be on the move,
Exploring new things and places,
With each new discovery it’s fun to watch,
The looks of surprise on your faces.

Karyssa, you’re “Miss Independent”,
You want to do things by yourself.
You love to clean by dusting, wiping,
And putting books back on the shelf.

Kyran, you’re “Mr. Motivation”,
Determination you have in spades,
Your drive to always do your best,
I pray it never fades.

Karyssa, you love your baby doll,
You carry her around a lot.
You feed her, dress her and love her,
Like she was your own little tot.

Kyran, you’re my music man.
You love to dance and sing.
You love to flirt, saying “hi gorgeous”
And “yo baby”, with smile and a wink.

Karyssa, you are a daddy’s girl,
But I know you love me so much.
Kyran, you are mommy’s boy,
But around daddy, you act so tough.

We’ve come so far together,
Since 12-21-08,
I think I’ve learned more than you have,
You’ve taught me so much since that date.

We’ve had our share of struggles and tears,
And kissed away each other’s pains,
But no matter what the days take from us,
Our love for each other remains.

I love you both with all my heart,
And I know that I am blessed,
For God smiled down on your daddy and me,
And gave us His very best!

Happy second birthday, precious babies!  I'll post pictures from the celebration tomorrow!

2 comments:

Grandmommy said...

I love them and you so much! The poem was great!! : )

Anonymous said...

Actually Grandfather:

Great poem. You have captures their essence with words as they have captured your heart with life.

The Burkett Bundle on WLTX