Two weeks ago, I had an argument with my uncle. He was using at least questionable, if not profane, language. When I gently pointed out to him that I had a little girl present, he proceeded to attack my beliefs and ideas in raising my children. I'll leave the details out, but I left in tears, not knowing why some people find it so hard to respect the wishes of parents. Especially when those wishes are not doing anyone physical or emotional harm.
Sunday night, we were watching The Wizard of Oz on TBS. It was the first time that the kids had seen it since they were old enough to really be interested in it. We turned the channel before any of the parts with the witch, because we think they're a little young for that yet. However, during a commercial at 8:30, an ad for Conan was shown, where someone said the "A" word emphatically. I was shocked.
I realize that it is now legal to say that word on TV, but to air it during a children's movie! I have now written a complaint to TBS to let them know how disgusted I was in the distaste of their ad placement.
I've found myself questioning my parenting recently, but it has nothing to do with how my children are turning out. It has everything to do with the looks and comments I get from others. Not many others, mind you, but even one or two can sting a parent who is trying so hard to do their best.
I know people, especially people without children, may not understand my parenting methods. The fact remains that Jason and I are the two people responsible for our children's innocence, and it is up to us to defend their rights to that innocence. They are too young to do it for themselves, and they are too young to always understand what is right and wrong to say or do. Some may consider me overprotective, a prude or judgemental, but, in the end, my children will be my proof.
I have no plans to shelter them forever. I will send them to public school. I will let them make their own decisions and friends. But I will be there, helping them, protecting them, comforting them, every step of the way. I will not apologize to them for my protection, and I certainly won't apologize to those who might judge me for protecting them.

3 comments:
Love the pics and the post!!! I got accused of being overprotective all the time and your response to that is absolutley correct! You are both doing a wonderful job sweetheart!! I love you you all!!!
I love the Hear No Evil pics!! I totally support you!! :) Love you!
Well said! Wish more parents were like you!
Post a Comment