Friday, January 20, 2012

Feeling better...but were they really feeling bad?

Last Monday, I got sick. Then, of course, the kids got it. It was the first time since they were born that I have passed something to them. I would have felt bad, but they seemed less affected by it than I did.

However, I learned quickly that they are tough kids with high pain tolerances. They had little runny noses and very low grade fevers, but I thought it was just a mild cold until Friday afternoon when Karyssa woke up from her nap screaming. I went in to get her and at first, she said her tummy hurt, but I soon realized that it was her ear. I called the nurse and gave Karyssa some Ibuprofen, and we brought her in the next morning to be looked at. We decided if Karyssa had an ear infection that we should probably have Kyran looked at too.

Good thing. Karyssa did in fact have an ear infection and they both had bronchiolitis. They had their first-ever breathing treatments (a miracle for 29-week preemies). Kyran hated it, but Karyssa was almost eerily calm as she just sat there. If I didn't know better, I'd think they put something illegal in hers. They sent us home with prescriptions for Amoxicillin for Karyssa and Albuterol inhalers for both of them. Since it was a Saturday, we did not have our usual doctor. I'm not sure Dr. B. would have followed the same course of action, but they're better and that's all that matters.

We used the inhalers with an empty toilet paper roll as a spacer (the doctor's suggestion, since a spacer would have been $40), and that didn't go so well at first. By their last one on Wednesday, they were doing great with it, and have even asked for it a few times since.

The Amoxicillin, otherwise known as "cotton candy medicine" caused a little bit of a problem. Not because she didn't want to take it, but because he was extremely jealous that he didn't get to. He started saying his ear hurt, but I didn't know if it really did, or if he was just saying that to get the medicine.

When we went back for their follow-up on Wednesday, he did have an ear infection, so now he gets his cotton candy medicine too. They both sounded fine, and Karyssa's ear infection had cleared up, so everything else was good news.

Here's the kicker for me. Bronchiolitis is caused by some sort of virus, many times RSV. When I asked Dr. B. on Wednesday if that's what caused it, she said she couldn't be sure. Sometimes it was the cause, sometimes it wasn't. So, my kids may or may not have had RSV, but it seemed like the most mild cold they have ever had. They didn't even feel the need to run any tests or get any x-rays. Those three letters used to make me break out in a cold sweat, and now, they may or may not have had it! Both doctors seemed very nonchalant about it. I feel so blessed that they have been so healthy, and this is just one more thing to confirm how amazing and healthy my sweet kids are!

No comments:

The Burkett Bundle on WLTX