Last night, our church had a "Courageous" movie night. If you haven't seen the movie yet, rent it! It's excellent, but if you get emotional at movies, have a box of tissues ready. You'll laugh, you'll cry, you'll cheer.
The movie is mainly about fatherhood. Of course, I was sitting in between my husband and my daddy. In the speech at the end of the movie (I'm not giving anything away), the main character says a father needs to be a teacher, protector and provider. I could not be more blessed to have had that in a father and that now my children have that in their father.
Growing up, my dad was out of town a lot. He is a very competitive ultra-marathon runner and usually ran a couple of them each month when I was growing up. He taught, coached and did odd jobs to support our family and allow my mom to stay home with us until my younger brother went to school. While he wasn't home as much as he wanted to be, he made the time at home count. He would also often take us with him to his races when we were old enough.
I have so many memories of trips with him, waking up in the middle of the night when "Lady in Red" came on the radio (that was his song to me, and eventually became the song we danced to at my wedding). He made me feel so loved that I never felt the need to look for a man's love from anyone else. He told me I was smart and beautiful. (There has been a lot of controversy over these types of compliments recently, but I am a big fan.) He taught me to love the Red Sox and how to read a box score. He encouraged us to try new foods and new adventures. He trusted me. He adored me. He set the standard very high.
Then one day, I met a man who had so many of the traits I loved in my father, and then some. I knew that he would not only be a great husband, but someday, an incredible father. I truly can't imagine a better father for Kyran and Karyssa. He tells them they are smart and handsome/beautiful. He plays games with them. He reads to them. He cuddles them. He takes them to church and teaches them about God. He talks to them. He prays with them. He adores them.
These men will always work hard. They will always make the ethical choice, no matter if it's harder or doesn't pay as much as cheating or lying. They will always love and provide for their children. They will always be teachers, providers and protectors.
I am so blessed to have these men in my life, and so glad that Kyran has a father who is such a great example of a man to aspire to be!
No comments:
Post a Comment