Saturday, July 18, 2009


This is the picture we saw one year ago today, as we heard the doctor say "Well, there are two of them!". We almost fainted.

There was a suspicion of twins because my HCG levels (what is detected on a pregnancy test and in the blood tests), were pretty high, but we still weren't really expecting to see two tiny little hearts beating during the ultrasound. It was breathtaking.

From that moment, we were in love...petrified, but in love. Tears filled my eyes immediately, as I looked at these tiny, precious gifts that were part me and part Jason. I believe God's greatest miracle is the creation of life inside another person. But what a responsibility. To be responsible for the health of a baby, or two babies, while they are growing, developing and turning into people, it's pretty scary.

Life changes completely, for the better of course, when you find out you are having a child, but when you realize you're having two, it's even more drastic.

On the way to the doctor's office, we had developed a list of the people who would be allowed to babysit our child. On the way back, that list shrunk quite a bit thinking about who could handle two crying babies.

My financial-minded husband's first statement when the doctor left the room was, "We have to put them both through college in 18 years." My first thought was, let's not worry about finances, I just hope I can do this.

As you all know, I couldn't do it, but what I couldn't do with His help, God took care of by Himself.

Today, one year later, we have two beautiful, healthy children, and the sound and feel of their heartbeats can still take my breath away!

No comments:

The Burkett Bundle on WLTX