Monday, July 27, 2009

While it's not easy getting out of the house with twins, it is much easier now without monitors in tow, so we are enjoying finding new things that we can do as a family.

Friday night, we headed out to a local park to watch Madascar 2 with some good friends. We didn't watch much of the movie because we were running our mouths, but it was so nice to be outside on a "cool" night and the babies behaved beautifully.

Saturday was a very relaxing day. We did take a walk and we went to the pool for a little while, but didn't do much else and got in bed early!

On Sunday after church, we fed the babies and put them down for naps. Jason went to play golf, and they slept the whole time he was gone! I got a lot done around the house, and was able to take a nap myself! After our bible study group, we headed to Rita's Italian Ice for another outing with friends. It put us home a little later than normal, but it was worth it.

Today, we went to see Dr. Amarnath, the GI specialist. He said that what Kyran is experiencing is definitely reflux, and prescribed another medicine to go along with his Prevacid. I'm not sure of the exact name, because we haven't had the prescription filled yet, but it is supposed to strengthen his muscles and make his food digest a little faster.

Dr. Amarnath seemed to think that he won't need the medicine for more than two months, echoing what Dr. Bartlett said about reflux clearing up around six months for most babies. He also said we can stop both medications when he stops spitting up, and can cancel the follow up appointment if his reflux is gone before the end of September.

Two neat things happened at the doctor's office today. The first is when we were waiting in the waiting room, Kyran started crying. As the nurse walked out to call another patient, he wailed "MaaaaaMaaaaa." The nurse heard it too, or I probably would have thought I imagined it out of wishful thinking. I'm not such a fool to believe that it was intentional, but it was very exciting to hear it anyway!

The second thing was when we were waiting in the exam room for the doctor to come in. It took about 30 minutes for him to come in after the nurse left, so after "rocking" Karyssa to sleep in the stroller, Kyran and I had some bonding time.

Normally, when it's nap time, we put them in bed, (Karyssa now unswaddled, and Kyran usually swaddled), and they fall right asleep. In an effort to keep them doing this, we try not to let them fall asleep in our arms. Today was different, though. I sat down with him and patted his back until he fell asleep on me. Since he was just in his diaper, my mind drifted back to the Kangaroo Care we did in the NICU, and I realized just how much he has grown.

I used to be scared to hold him, because he was so tiny and frail, and had so many wires attached to him. Today, with my 12 lb, 12.8 oz (according to their scale) son sleeping on me with no monitors or major health problems, I found myself close to tears and just thanking God for the health of my children. How amazing that moments like that sneak up on me now, when I might otherwise have been upset about the wait.

Karyssa has a new favorite toy - the Jumperoo! She loves to bounce herself in it and show us how strong her legs are now. She is also actively reaching and grasping for objects that hang above her, but she hasn't been completely successful in grabbing and holding onto them yet.

On a different note, God has answered a prayer for me in the form of a 12-year-old girl. Nine years ago, during my senior year in college, I took a job babysitting for a wonderful family with five children. I stayed with them three mornings a week, from 7 a.m. until about 1:00 or so. During this time, the older boy stayed home and was home-schooled, two other boys went to the local elementary school, and I mainly watched 3-year-old Mercy and her 1-year-old brother, Banner.

I remember two main things about watching them for those few months. 1) I loved the neighborhood where they lived. It was a beautiful neighborhood with lots of trees and kids playing, but it was also close to downtown; and 2) what a strong-willed, inquisitive and beautiful child Mercy was.

Well, as you can probably guess, we now live in that wonderful neighborhood, and just down the road from that wonderful family. I've reacquainted myself with a few of them at different points, including Mercy and Banner when they have trick-or-treated, and as I've walked around the block with the babies. Today, I got a knock on my door and was a little surprised. No one ever comes to see me without calling first. I looked out the peephole and saw Mercy standing there.

She is looking to get some experience with babies, to help her be a good babysitter and wanted to know if she could spend some time with us and help with the babies. What an answer to a prayer! Although she had never really been around babies before, she took to it so naturally! She fed them both their rice cereal and peas, and gave them both their bottles after I nursed them. She even burped them!

After talking with her mother tonight, on days that we are both around, she is going to come over to help me with the 12:00 feeding and playtime. I know the babies will love having her around, and I will love the extra hands!

The only bad news is that they will be moving soon, so we will miss her even more now when she leaves.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you guys have been busy and having LOTS of fun!

I know the time you had with Kyran was so special. We have been working a lot on nap time and I try my hardest not to let MK sleep in my arms. But there are those days when it happens and I just can't put her down. I too remember how small she was and how I was so afraid to hold her. Today I just can't get enough and it's amazing how she has grown!

Hope that the meds work for Kyran and that the reflux clears up SOON. Oh, and I forgot to mention the other day, but Karyssa's little band is so cute!! I love it!

The Burkett Bundle on WLTX