Friday, August 7, 2009

Although I don't normally mention non-baby related things in this blog, I do want to ask for your prayers for a very dear friend of mine. I've known her for about 24 years, since she was around three years old, and in the past three years, she has become one of my absolute favorite people. In June, doctors discovered that she had a brain tumor, but thought it to be benign. After surgery and analyzing the tumor, they did find malignancies in it. She will begin radiation soon and possibly chemotherapy to get rid of any cells that may have been left behind. Please be in prayer for Angelica and her family during this time.

On the baby side of things, we had a great appointment yesterday! Kyran is up to 13 lb, 2 oz, a 12-oz gain in the past three weeks, and at 13 lbs had officially quadrupled his birthweight!! Karyssa gained 11 oz, and is up to 12 lb, 7 oz...almost on the charts for a full-term baby at her age! Kyran had been close to the chart since coming home, then dropped a little, but now is getting back on track!

Dr. Bartlett said that she wants them in her office as little as possible from when our State Fair begins until the end of March, so we've moved their 9-month appointment up a little, to September 21...when they will be exactly 9 months!!! All of our appointments have been a month or two behind their actual age, so this will be a very weird feeling! Of course they still won't be hitting their 9-month milestones, but they are getting closer every day.

We had their Babynet evaluation on Wednesday, and the woman who came was impressed with some things, but I still think that they will qualify for services, especially Kyran. I think that social and speech skills are fine at this point, although we can still re-evaluate them later, but I'm hoping they both qualify for physical therapy, because I'd love to see them catch up to where they should be for their actual age as soon as possible.

Karyssa, for the last week or so, has been reaching and grabbing toys. She's learned how to play with everything on the jumperoo (I'll post a video soon), and she's even trying to push up on all fours! Aunt Tammy and Carey came in town last weekend and brought a new toy that they both just love, but when I pull it away from Karyssa, she tries to push up and get to it. She can't do it yet, but she definitely knows what she wants to do.

One exciting, although most likely hallucinated or very accidental, moment this week was when Kyran was in his swing just smiling away at me. He's the happiest baby in the world when his tummy doesn't hurt. I looked away for a second to see Karyssa and I swear I heard him say "Hiiiii". I looked back over and he was still smiling, but I couldn't get him to say it again. He has definitely become a flirt, though!

Both babies love jumping in the jumperoo, and have realized that if they jump hard enough, the toy on the front will light up and make noises. They just love using their legs, and I can already tell that they are getting stronger!

We talked about several other things with Dr. Bartlett yesterday. Here are just a few:

  • Since switching insurance, there was a mixup with the prescription company and Kyran went two days without his Prevacid, but didn't seem to be affected by it at all. He's definitely spitting up less since starting the Bethenachol, so she said we can stop the Prevacid and see how he does without it.

  • Since we've done all the veggies except for sweet potatoes, we can move on to fruits and also let them try the oatmeal cereal. As much as they love their carrots and squash, I know they will also love the fruit.

  • RSV season starts when the fair comes and, although we won't be under "house arrest" again, we will definitely have to start taking serious precautions again.

  • She wants to take a look at the most recent monitor downloads, and if she is happy, she will write the order for them to be picked up!


Sorry for all of the information, and I'm sure there is a ton that I've left out. That's what happens when I go three days without posting!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like everyone is doing great! So glad that BabyNet came out.

We have also thoroughly enjoyed this summer and our freedom, so we aren't looking forward to the winter months. Ugh! Thankfully it won't be as bad as last year.

The Burkett Bundle on WLTX