Friday, August 28, 2009

In the last episode of The Burkett Bundle, we were dealing with a fever and runny nose for Kyran. The bad news is that Karyssa's nose started running this morning, and she began coughing a little. The good news is that neither baby had any kind of fever today, and Dr. Bartlett said they should be fine! She said unless they get fevers higher than 101, their coughs become wet or if they are extra fussy, we don't need to worry about bringing them in.

As promised, here are the rest of our updates:

On Wednesday, we met with the physical therapist, or personal trainer as she calls herself, for the initial evaluation. Normally, she will come to our house, but on Wednesday, we had to go to her. By the time I fed them, got them in the car and drove to her place of business, it was the babies' naptime, so the evaluation was a little more rough than I expected.

She said that Kyran, physically is on a 3-month-old level, and Karyssa, physically, is on a 4-4.5-month old level. We were with a wonderful, completely on-track three-month-old tonight, and Kyran is definitely more physically advanced than he is, so I'm attributing their low scores to the fact that they were completely exhausted, and Kyran was getting sick.

She gave us lots of recommendations, some of which we'll take, and some of which Dr. Bartlett said not to take. Being the mother of 32-weeker twin boys who are now two years old, we defer to Dr. Bartlett on just about everything.

I should know more on Monday, but I think the plan is for her to come to our house once a week for therapy. She said that we will "mirror" each other, meaning what she does with Kyran, I will do with Karyssa, or vice versa, but I'm not sure how that's going to work since they are on such different levels.

I told her that our goal was to have them completely caught up by the time they are two, and she said they should be caught up a good bit before then, and should be walking by 13-14 months, so that sounds promising! I'm not so sure if I'll feel the same way when I have two little toddlers running around my house in six months!

On Tuesday, we had a very special visitor! Nurse Rachel from the Baptist NICU came to see us!! Rachel was one of the night nurses who had the babies a lot while they were there. She was so impressed with all that they can do!

The funniest part was that I remember watching her in the NICU and being totally in awe of how comfortable she was with our tiny little babies, but while she was there, she was a little nervous about handling our "heavy" babies!

I'd just like to say once more how much we owe to the Baptist NICU staff and that any nurses, RTs or doctors reading this are welcome to come visit us any time!!

Karyssa's head is continuing to grow within the band and getting close to where they want it to be. They are estimating about another four weeks. It will be nice to not have it any more, but I know it will be weird for a little while to see her all the time without her "crown" on.

Both babies are continuing to develop physically and socially, although we haven't worked with them too much while they've been sick. This week's new food was bananas, which Kyran loves and Karyssa can take or leave, I think.

A few times today, Kyran said "Uh-oh", but I think it's just making noises, rather than in response to anything.

Karyssa is so close to sitting up on her own and showing even more signs of wanting to crawl! She definitely knows that she can roll across the room to get what she wants, and she's figured out how to turn on her Leapfrog doll by pressing his tummy with her hand, not just her head.

It's been a long week, and we are definitely ready for a nice weekend and excited about having Jason around!

No comments:

The Burkett Bundle on WLTX