Monday, August 24, 2009

A little over 30 years ago, a 7-month-old baby girl, upon entering a room, lifted up her hand and said her first word, "Hi". Three weeks ago, on August 3rd, that grown-up girl thought she imagined that she heard her 7-month-old son said the same word. She didn't. Imagine it, that is.

Since then, I have heard him say it twice, although not as clearly as the first time. But on Saturday evening we went to my friend Crissy's house, and I got confirmation. Crissy, who had not read my previous post, was holding Kyran on her lap, when her own two-year-old son, Emerson, walked up to them. A distinct sound came from Kyran's mouth, and Crissy looked up at me and said, "I swear he just said "Hi".

It was very clear, and I am now very confident in saying that Kyran and I have something in common. We both said "Hi" as our first word at 7 months old!

Now, other than "mama", "dada" and a few other small words, I didn't really talk again until 18 months, when I was putting together three-word sentences. I really expect that from Karyssa. Sometimes, after nursing, she looks at me and smiles, and I swear she's going to break out with an "I'm finished, Mommy" clearly spoken with perfect English.

Speaking of smiles, Kyran has become our little flirt! We used to say that if he smiled at everyone in public the way he smiled at us here, they would all be in love with him. Well that day is here! I even had a friend, who has her own 3-month-old, tell me that Kyran is the cutest baby ever! He just loves to smile and blow raspberries at everyone now!

Both he and Karyssa are responding very well to positive reinforcement. They love applause and cheers, and will definitely repeat actions hoping for the same response.

Kyran is also now reaching and grabbing for things on a regular basis. It's amazing to just watch things "click" in their little minds!

Now for a quick update on our busy weekend!

We were supposed to go to the park for a movie on Friday night, but because of the forecast, it ended up being canceled, so we enjoyed a nice, relaxing evening at home, gearing up for our busy Saturday.

Saturday, around lunchtime, we got a visit from some of our favorite people! "Aunt" Pilly and her parents, who are in town from Bogota, Colombia, for a couple of months, came to Columbia to see us. Pilly and I met in grad school, very shortly after she moved from Colombia to Columbia, and became instant friends. Soon, we had "adopted" her into our family, and she was sharing every holiday with us when she couldn't go home.

Her parents have also become like family (they even made it to our wedding), and they were thrilled to meet the babies.

After their visit, we headed to "Aunt" Crissy's to eat some great food and play in the pool. As usual, the babies loved the water, and everyone had fun watching them play!

Yesterday, we went to church, relaxed at home for a while and had some friends from church over for dinner and a couple rounds of CatchPhrase.

Today, I'd like to wish a very, very happy first birthday to a beautiful miracle, Morgan Katherine Callahan!



With "Grandpa" and "Grandma" Viatela

Karyssa and "Aunt" Pilly

Kyran trying to sit up

Daddy playing with the babies

1 comment:

Kathy Hardison said...

How sweet of you to remember Morgan Kate on her birthday! God truly has blessed our lives with her and I know your family has overflowing hearts as well for your precious twins. I love reading about them. Take care and I'm grateful our paths have crossed due to Room 8 in the NICU. Kathy (Morgan Kate's grandmother)

The Burkett Bundle on WLTX