Friday, August 14, 2009

Six months ago today, we packed up the babies, said goodbye to the NICU staff and brought the babies home for our first night as a family! That day, they both came home with oxygen (although Karyssa never needed hers), pulse oximeters and apnea monitors. Because of all of the equipment, we set up camp in our bedroom. Six months later, we've moved daytime activities downstairs and naps to their nursery, but I still haven't been able to let go of them sleeping in our room.

That may need to change soon for two main reasons.

1. They are growing, growing, growing!!! Here are the babies in their bassinets shortly after bringing them home:










And this is them today:









Karyssa is also getting very close to sitting up, and we know if they're not in their nursery by then, we'll have to make that change immediately.

2. They've developed a plan. I can just hear them each night - Kyran: "I woke up early this morning, so tomorrow is my morning to sleep in. Make sure you get Mommy up by 7:30." Karyssa: "Ok, but then the next day it's your turn. I need my beauty sleep!"

Each morning one of them will fuss, no matter what we do. Until I get out of bed. Once I'm up and downstairs, they both usually sleep until 8:00, when I have to go and wake them up. While it is nice to have the half-hour or so in the mornings to eat and wake up a little, it would be nice to wake up on my own every once in a while.

I think by moving them into their nursery, they won't be disturbed by Jason waking up in the morning, and will sleep a little later on their own.

I know this will be a more difficult transition for me than for them, so please pray for me to be able to make it smoothly.

Karyssa
and Kyran both had milestones today! Kyran rolled from his back to his belly for the first time! He went right three times in a row, which is funny, because Karyssa almost always goes left.

We also realized today that Karyssa definitely knows her name. She looked each time we called her, and did not look when we called Kyran or said anything else with the same inflection. It's just amazing to see their little minds at work!!

We took Karyssa to Charlotte yesterday for another appointment, and her head is definitely rounding out nicely. She still has some growing to do, and our therapist said it will most likely be another 6-8 weeks. She has gotten used to the band, and her nightly hair washings, and we always get compliments on her "crown".

Each year, Cranial Technologies puts together a calendar of photos of babies wearing their bands. We submitted a few pictures of Karyssa for the calendar, and wanted to share them with you. I've posted a poll, so please vote on your favorite, and we'll see if they agree!

A


B


C


D

3 comments:

Heather Downer said...

the last one is my favorite!!

Rebecca said...

C!!!!!!!! She is a doll in all of them but she looks just like an angel sleeping in her little helmet!!

turketwh said...

I agree with Rebecca - "C"!

The Burkett Bundle on WLTX