Tuesday, April 20, 2010

In the NICU: "I'm going to try to nurse them for three months."
Three months:  "I'm going to try for six months."
Six months:  "I'm going to try to keep going for a year."
One year:  "I'll keep going until their due date on March 3."
March 3:  "I"m just going to get them through RSV season at the end of March."
End of March:  "I'll start weaning them and have them weaned by 16 months."
16 months:  "Why did I ever wean them??"

If you had told me when they were in the NICU and I was pumping every 2-3 hours around the clock, that they would just be weaned at 16 months, I would have said you were crazy.  If you had told me when they came home and I was nursing, supplementing and pumping for 16 hours out of every day, I would have said you were insane.  If you told me that I'd cry when it was all done, I might have had you committed.  There were several times I almost quit.  But somewhere along the line, that all changed.

At first I pumped because I wanted them to get as much "liquid gold" as possible, to help them stay healthy and come home sooner.  Then I nursed because it helped me feel like a mom, when there wasn't much else I could do for them in the hospital.  At home, I continued to nurse because I wanted them to stay healthy, and to make up for the bonding time that we missed when they were first born.  I continued to nurse because of the antibodies that they get from it, but at some point, I started loving it. 

I think they would have been fine to be weaned months ago, but I held on.  It's one of the only times that they would be still for me to hold them.  It's a great time to make lots of eye contact, and to have some one-on-one time with them.  For those reasons and more, I'm the one, not them, who had a breakdown yesterday morning when they showed little interest in nursing. 

I never dreamed I'd nurse this long, or be so sad when it ended.  My little "babies" are growing up much too quickly for me.  I thank God for my physical and mental ability to keep going and now I pray for the emotional strength to let go. 

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am sure it is a hard transition! I am finding out quickly that things are much tougher for me than they are for MK. I am just so proud of you and admire you for staying with it that long. Amazing! Praying that things will get easier for you!

Erin Kesterson said...

You are an inspiration!

Orena Murray said...

You've done such a great job! God will help you replace the nursing with some other form of bonding. They both know you love them dearly...I can tell by your posts! Good luck, I know you're a great mom.

Amy said...

It is hard when they stop, isn't it? Josh quit on me at 15 months, quite a bit before I was ready for him to be done.

The Burkett Bundle on WLTX