Thursday, October 28, 2010

AFOs and SMOs

I realized a while back that I never blogged about these:


That may have been because they were terrible, horrible, no-good, very-bad things.  They are called Ankle-Foot Orthoses (AFO) and are generally prescribed to people with a diagnosis of club feet, Cerebral Palsy or other muscular issues.  Last December, my kids were deemed "possible CP", although their doctor and the orthopaedist did not think either of them had it.   Their physical therapist did at the time, so she requested a prescription for these. 

Karyssa would scream when I put them on her, and although she was pulling up at the time, she refused to pull up or even crawl.  She would just sit there and scream until she finally figured out how to wiggle them so that she could take them off herself.  Kyran did not scream, but instead would refuse to do anything except sit and play with toys or lay down.  It was clear that neither the AFOs, nor the physical therapist at the time, were working out, so I requested another PT. 

Ann has been amazing!  She came in and immediately discontinued the use of the AFOs, which Karyssa hadn't used in some time anyway.  She confirmed that she did not suspect CP in either child, but that Kyran would have a little more difficulty learning to walk.  In just a couple short months of working with Karyssa and letting her gain confidence again, Karyssa was up and walking and she hasn't looked back (except she does still crawl around the floor to chase Kyran or let Kyran chase her). 

Kyran is also making remarkable strides with Ann, but he still does have some foot placement issues.  So, she recommended these Supra Malleolar Orthoses (SMO), which are much smaller and lighter and he is adjusting to them very well. 



He only wears them for a few hours a day, and, in just a week, I have already noticed a difference in his foot placement when he is not wearing them!  He has gained confidence and will step away from any wall or piece of furniture and take several steps on his own. 

It took a while to get these in, and when Ann first recommended them, she said he could be in them for up to six months, wearing them for most of the day.  Now, though, she thinks he won't need them for very long at all, based on the progress he's already made on his own.  He still has a while before he will be walking completely on his own (I'm hoping for around their second birthday), but I know he's on his way!

I can't say enough how proud I am of my children.  I think so often of how they have been through more in their short lives than most people go through in their entire lives.  They are such troopers and so resilient and I just love watching them learn from every new situation!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This post literally brought tears to my eyes. They are both SO amazing and such little fighters! And a big kudos to you for standing up and requesting another PT. Kyran and Karyssa are so lucky to have you as their mommy!

The Burkett Bundle on WLTX