Wednesday, October 6, 2010

First times

There's a first time for everything, they say.  Well, last night, there were quite a few first times...

...the first time Kyran and Karyssa ever got a stomach bug
...the first time I was up all night since they were born
...the first time either of them slept in our bed
...the first time either of them slept in their room alone at night
...the first time we had to do multiple loads of laundry in the same night

There were probably more firsts, but you get the picture.  After dinner last night, Kyran got sick, but then seemed ok.  I was out, so Jason put them down, and he was fine.  At about 9:30, right after I got home, though, he threw up again, and it didn't stop until about 1 a.m.  We had to bathe him and wash his sheets and clothes.  After that, he slept in the bed with us, and Karyssa eventually fell asleep in the room alone. 

At 3 a.m., I was ready to put him in his crib so that I could get some sleep.  As soon as I stood up, I heard the unmistakable sound of Karyssa getting sick.  So, after washing her hair and starting yet another load of laundry, she came in bed with us and Kyran went into his own bed, alone in his room.  He took no time at all to fall asleep. 

I was up and down with Karyssa until about 5 a.m., and I actually slept from about 5:30 until 6:30 when Jason's alarm went off and Karyssa decided it was time to wake up. 

They were so hungry when they woke up, so I gave them a little food and drink.  Karyssa got sick one more time, but Kyran did fine.  They are now taking a long, long nap and I hope they feel much better when they wake up. 

I can't help but feel guilty for passing this bug along to them, even though I know they were exposed to it long before I knew I had it.  I just kept thinking if they felt as bad as I had, I couldn't even imagine.  But they were amazing.  Neither of them cried very much.  They both just wanted to cuddle.  As rough as the night was, it was nice to be able to be there for my children and comfort them. 

Funny how the tough times are sometimes the ones we remember most fondly...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow I'm so sorry to hear that they got sick. Seems like this virus is insane...Jack got it too. I can't believe how quickly it has spread...so many people at my shower ended up with it on the same night. Hope everyone is better! Erin

The Burkett Bundle on WLTX