Going out with twins is always an adventure. We've gotten responses from giddiness to one lady just shaking her head and gasping at us with a look of sheer horror on her face. I'm told that was a compliment, but a smile works just as well as far as I'm concerned.
I've recently been inspired by a fellow blogger and twin mom (Komarnicki Kids on the right side of this blog), a message board I'm on through Facebook (as I've said before, I'm a junkie), and just my overall daily conversations, to write a few of the questions, as well as my responses and sometimes what I'd like to say.
This is in no way intended to put down anyone who asks these questions, just to add a little humor to your day. I'm sure that I have asked some of the same questions in the past. I hope you can chuckle at these as Jason and I do.
Stranger: Are they twins?
Me: Yep
What Jason should say: Nope, one is from each of my wives. (courtesy of Facebook message board)
Stranger: God bless you! (With that same horrified look)
Me: He certainly has!
Stranger: Are they identical?
Me: Nope, fraternal.
What I'd like to say: Did you even look at them?
Stranger: How do you tell them apart?
Me: I guess you just know your own children.
What I'd like to say: Well, I just pull down their pants, and the one with the penis, that's my son! (courtesy of Facebook message board)
Stranger: Are they natural?
Me: Um, excuse me?
What I'd like to say: No, they're cybernetic organisms that will grow up to be Terminators one day.
Stranger: How on earth did you carry twins?
Me: With a lot of help from God.
What goes through my mind: Well, I didn't really. Thanks for reminding me. (Because I know this question is meant to be a compliment, I refrain from saying that).
Stranger: Do twins run in your family?
Me: They do now.
What I'd like to say: Well, actually, my dad and my husband are the runners in my family, but I'm sure when they're old enough, they'll do their share of running.
Stranger: Better you than me.
Me: *smile*
What I'd like to say: If that's your attitude, absolutely!
Stranger: I'm so jealous. I wish I'd gotten mine both out of the way at the same time.
Me: I'm very blessed.
What I'd like to say: Would you like to borrow mine for a day and see if you still feel that way? (Don't get me wrong, I love having twins, but when the question is phrased like that is has an air of selfishness that probably wouldn't be conducive to caring for twins.)
Stranger: My best friend's niece's neighbor's cousin has twins!
Me: How neat. She must be very blessed.
What I'd like to say: Have you ever actually met them?
Stranger: You must have your hands full!
Me: Yep, but it's worth every second!
What I'd like to say: And my arms, my house, my car...
If you're reading this and are curious, I think the best way to break the ice is just to say, "They're so cute. How old are they." That way, you are giving a compliment that cannot be misconstrued and the answer will most likely tell you if they are twins or not.
The majority of the time, the response to Kyran and Karyssa is overwhelmingly positive. We get a ton of compliments and I can't be more proud to be their mommy!
4 comments:
i love the identical question... hmm... yeah most IDENTICAL twins are boys and girls.... yeah... :)
Your answers made me laugh.. :) It's amazing what people ask. I also get a "compliment" a lot... they say "You look great for having twins!" Does this mean I don't look great if I had just had one?! Haha. People are funny! :)
Thanks for the laugh. I was amazed at the comments I got when I was pregnant. When I was about 6 months pregnant I walked into one patient's room and the family there told me (with no prompting on my part) that I was much too small (to be that far along). I was a little disturbed until I went into the NEXT ROOM and the family members there told me that I was much too small to be 6 months! They both asked me if I had the dates right - I said "Yes, I am sure". But what I WANTED to say was: "I know when we had sex, I know when I started throwing up, I know when the test read positive and my doctor who reads the ultrasounds went to 10 years of extra school and has 40 years experience - so YEAH THE DATES ARE RIGHT!"
-lol, Kerry
I screwed up - the second family members told me I was much TOO BIG to be 6 months, sorry!
-Kerry (unable to proof-read after midnight)
Post a Comment