On Sunday, our pastor asked for a show of hands of all of those who had a great week. I think mine was the first hand, straight up in the air.
Yesterday, Jason was looking at the babies, and asked, "Do you ever wonder how we got so blessed?" "Every minute of every day," was my reply.
I've done nothing to deserve this. Nothing to justify God giving me an amazing husband, two beautiful children, the ability to stay home with those children, perfect health, a roof over my head, a car to drive, food to eat, wonderful family, great friends, three adorable pets, etc., but He did it anyway!
I think one of the greatest things he has given me came from what began as a nightmare. Strict bedrest. Fear for our children's lives. Premature birth. Fifty-five days in the neonatal intensive care unit. Home on oxygen and apnea monitors. The silver lining is this: we know how it could have been.
That is why we look at every day as a gift. Every day, I wake up, not upset to be up early or dreading starting another day, but just so thankful to have another day with my healthy, growing babies. The little things that used to bother me don't anymore.
This is not to say that I don't get upset when my team loses or when I'm stuck behind someone who doesn't know how to drive, but I don't let it ruin my day or my week.
I've said before (although I'm not sure if I've written it), that I can't imagine what it would be like to be blessed with a preemie or twins, or preemie twins, if you didn't want children more than anything. It is not an easy job, even though being a mommy was something I wanted so badly.
But when they're both crying, I let their cries be a reminder of how full of life they are. How they have the capability of telling us when they are hungry or hurting or just want some extra attention. And when they get that food, or pain relief or attention, and smile at us...oh, it's just over. There's nothing we can do but smile back and feel our hearts melt and our bodies get so full with love that we can only shiver.
Every day is a gift, and I'm reminded of that every time I see (or hear) our little bundles of joy!
1 comment:
AMEN!
-Kerry
Post a Comment