Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Independence Day is one of my favorite holidays.  I love fireworks.  I love grilling out.  I love that it's always warm on the Fourth of July, and most of all, I love the USA and celebrating our freedom!

Growing up, we spent many of these holidays in St. Pete, always heading to The Pier



to spend the day and watch fireworks at night.  In fact, two years ago, Jason and I told my parents, sister and younger brother that we were pregnant on July 4th and spent that day at the pier.


July 4, 2008

This year, because of the threat of rain, and the fact that they would be shooting off fireworks right in front of our motel



we decided to go to The Pier


and the aquarium in The Pier


for a little while, but then head back to the motel to watch the fireworks.  At The Pier, we had a great time.  Marley and Kahlan had balloon animals made for them,


we watched the fish in the aquarium,


made friends with some birds,


and watched a storm roll over Tampa Bay.


We had dinner at a nice steakhouse, where I, of course, ordered bacon-wrapped shrimp and a lobster tail. 





Then we headed back to the motel and waited...

and waited...

and waited,

for fireworks that never went off.  Apparently with all of the rain, the detonators had gotten wet, and they had no way to set them off.  We had fun watching my nieces play with their friend and Karyssa loved just walking around with us. 



Overall, it was a wonderful Independence Day, and I hope maybe we've started a tradition with our family!


View from The Pier's glass elevator


Bicycle built for six (they had 8-seaters also)

Our American babies


Sunset on St. Pete Beach

No comments:

The Burkett Bundle on WLTX