Saturday, August 21, 2010

20 Months Old

My babies aren't "teenagers" anymore.  They're going to be two in four months.  These are two of the thoughts that have been going through my head this week as I thought about the fact that they would be 20 months old today. 

They have so many new "tricks" that I've been trying to get on camera, but they just freeze up whenever the video camera is on them. 

The first trick is one of my favorites.  When my niece, Marley, was a baby, my mom taught her some sports motions, and I have now taught them to my kids, and added one!  When someone says football (even in conversation), they throw their hands up in the touchdown signal and smile.  Kyran will even do this on his own sometimes and say "football!".  When they hear the word baseball, they put their hands together and move their arms back and forth, like they are swinging a bat.  When they hear basketball, they move their hand up and down, like they are dribbling a basketball.  The new one is soccer, when they kick their feet like they're kicking a soccer ball.  I hope our love of sports passes on to them!  Hopefully I'll be able to get it on camera soon, because it's much, much cuter than I can describe here.

Their second trick is that, just yesterday, they learned how to "roll it", as in "roll it and pat it and mark it with a B".  They are so excited to do it, and their eyes just light up when we say it!

Kyran amazed me last night while we were reading 10 Friendly Fish.  When I got to the page with 7 fish, I said 7 and stopped, and he said "eight".  I could not believe it!  He did it again twice, and then also said "five" at the page with four fish.  Now when we count, he will usually fill in the five and the eight!!!

Although I'm not sure it's a trick I like yet, Karyssa can now open the top of the trash can and put things in or take things out.  I think this will be a good skill once I can teach her that the trash is dirty, and she should only put things into the trash can. 

A while back, I started asking Karyssa what a spider does and she would do the beginning part of the Itsy Bitsy Spider.  She still does that, and now Kyran will do all of the motions while I sing! 

Again, all of these things are much cuter when they actually do them than when I describe them.  I think back now to 20 months ago, and how scared I was about their development.  I know that they still have some delays, but they are catching up beautifully and I am constantly amazed by how hard they work and how much they learn every day!

No comments:

The Burkett Bundle on WLTX