Here are the words that I missed from last week's post or that they've added to their list of words that they say on their own:
Karyssa:
baby
here
bath
cracker
cookie
nose
yeah
quack
hand
Kyran:
dog
out
off
ribbit
cracker
good girl
Hard to believe, but last week the babies had their annual Babynet evaluation and we got the results today.
Based on her adjusted age of 17 months, Karyssa is on track in the areas of personal-social, self-help, cognition and communication, with only very slight delays for her actual age. In the areas of fine and gross motor, she showed a little more of a delay, but nothing significant, so she is no longer eligible for the family training sessions with their Early Interventionist! This was the last bit of confirmation I needed that my little girl is truly no longer a preemie baby!
Kyran had 0-2% delays in the first four areas mentioned above based on adjusted age, and only slightly higher delays based on actual age. However, his fine and gross motor skills both showed significant delays, so he will continue to have sessions with the EI, PT and OT. Since Ann, his PT, could not be there today, they asked me to remember what some of his goals were. My response was this:
"I know one of the goals she set for him in May was that he be taking independent steps by August 19. We talked about it Monday and both agreed that that won't happen, since it's tomorrow and there is no way he'll be taking steps by tomorrow...(laughter)...although who knows what miracles God can perform."
Three hours later, Sherri, his OT, was over and he was cruising around my back. She said he looked like he wanted to walk. For the last two weeks, his frustration over not being able to walk has been very apparent, but he has started standing for a few seconds on his own recently. I decided to see if he would show her how he can stand, so I stood him up and helped him find his balance and then, my baby boy took SEVEN steps!!!!!
Seven steps! I hugged him and started crying immediately. Sherri started crying. After trying again a few times, he took another four steps in a row! They were fast steps, but definitely true, well-balanced steps. He can't stand on his own for more than five seconds, but he can take steps!
I've always said that Karyssa's "can" and "will" are two different things, and that Kyran's "can" and "will" are the same thing. I knew that as soon as he could stand on his own, he would be trying to take steps. But I always assumed that standing on his own meant that when he could stand on his own for a prolonged period of time, like how Karyssa could stand for over a minute long before she started walking. Once again, my son has performed a skill that he "shouldn't" be able to do.
I am floored. I am elated. I am once again in awe of God's miracles and so thankful that He chose today to demonstrate His all-powerful abilities to me.
I'm so proud of my motor-driven son. I know that kids take steps every day, and parents all over the world are proud, but Kyran has worked so hard for every bit of physical progress he has made, and today I feel like the most proud mommy in the world!
No comments:
Post a Comment