Friday, August 20, 2010

Milk and Bread

Growing up, before the age of cell phones, my dad would call my mom every day before he left work.  Here is the conversation as I remember it:

Dad: Do you need me to pick up anything on my way home?
Mom: Yes, milk and bread.

I'm sure there were sometimes other things on the list, but it seemed to me that every day, he brought home milk and bread.  I remember wondering how people could go through milk and bread so quickly.  Now I know.

There were six of us in the house growing up.  We only have four now, including two toddlers who, although they eat more than I can see where it all fits, don't eat as much as my siblings and I did as older children, but it seems like every other day, I'm asking Jason to bring home milk and bread. 

My kids love bread.  Any kind of bread.  At lunchtime, I have to give them their bread last, or they will only eat bread and not the rest of their food.  I can't even make my sandwich until they have their bread in front of them, and I have to finish it before theirs is gone.  (I eat PB&J, so I would share, but we're keeping them away from peanut products until they're two...I'm not selfish, I promise!) 

They love to eat, but there is a certain order in which we have to feed them.  Veggies are always first.  Kyran would eat them whenever, but as soon as Karyssa gets anything else on her plate, the veggies are moved to the side and forgotten (until her tray is empty and she starts dropping veggies on the floor for Bella...we're still dealing with that).  After veggies comes meat, then grain (pasta, rice, although bread is always last), then dairy (cheese, milk, yogurt).  If Karyssa gets her milk first, she drinks her milk and won't eat anything aside from bread. 

I never anticipated that there would be a science to feeding my children, but figuring it out has been one more thing that I love about being a mom!

1 comment:

Heather Downer said...

i kept 18 month twins last year while i was pregnant and they ate the little "mini lunchables" quite often... i always had to give them meat and cheese first... then crackers. if they had crackers first, they wouldnt eat the meat and the cheese. fruit was always our "dessert" and they always ate that no problem... but it seems the "grain" tends to be what they ALWAYS wanted the most! haha :)

The Burkett Bundle on WLTX