Child-proofing has been on an as-needed basis around our house. When they started scooting, we covered the outlets. When they started crawling up the stairs, we put up baby gates.
Our most recent need came up a couple of weeks ago, when they finally became strong enough to open our heavy cabinet doors in the kitchen. We have now purchased and will soon be installing cabinet locks. I think toilet locks will be next, and eventually a refrigerator lock and doorknob covers.
That said, my theory is that we should "house-proof" the child and not entirely child-proof the house. Of course, with anything that is safety-related, we will be taking the necessary precautions. However, with those things that are merely an inconvenience to us (like lining DVDs back up when they pull them all out), I am slowly teaching them to stay away from those things.
My theory is a good one, I believe, but implementing it with two toddlers is not for the impatient. I spend a lot of my day distracting them from several places and things. When necessary, they get a one minute time-out. Instead of removing all temptation and limiting their choices, I hope I am teaching them what is right and wrong and I know they are quickly learning that their actions have consequences. I pray that this knowledge stays with them as they get older and have to make harder choices.
We are also continually child-proofing ourselves. Several years ago, we curbed our language so that it no longer includes traditional cuss words, but now, several other words are off-limits, simply because we don't want them repeating them. We watch more carefully how we talk to and treat each other and others around us. We try very hard to set a good example, because it is more apparent every day how closely we are being watched and how well we are being imitated.
Being a parent has changed every aspect of my life. There is a Christian song that I love by Phillips, Craig and Dean called "I Want to be Just Like You". Forgive me if I've quoted these lyrics before, but in child-proofing myself, they've been in my head a lot!
He climbs in my lap for a goodnight hug
He calls me Dad and I call him Bub
With his faded old pillow and a bear named Pooh
He snuggles up close and says, "I want to be like you"
I tuck him in bed and I kiss him goodnight
Trippin' over the toys as I turn out the light
And I whisper a prayer that someday he'll see
He's got a father in God 'cause he's seen Jesus in me
Lord, I want to be just like You
'Cause he (they) wants to be just like me
I want to be a holy example
For his (their) innocent eyes to see
Help me be a living Bible, Lord
That my little boy (ones) can read
I want to be just like You
'Cause he (they) wants to be like me
Got to admit I've got so far to go
Make so many mistakes and I'm sure that You know
Sometimes it seems no matter how hard I try
With all the pressures in life I just can't get it all right
But I'm trying so hard to learn from the best
Being patient and kind, filled with Your tenderness
'Cause I know that he'll learn from the things that he sees
And the Jesus he finds will be the Jesus in me
Right now from where he stands I may seem mighty tall
But it's only 'cause I'm learning from the best Father of them all
2 comments:
Great post! They are SO observant and watch every little thing! I have to remind myself many times during the day that I am being "closely" watched.
my mom told me something that she did with me when i was a kid and i think i'm going to do it with Nate as well.... she gave me one cabinet in the kitchen that was mine. she kept plastic or wooden utensils in there and some bowls/cups and a pot or two so i could have my own space to play in there and not have the kitchen completely off limits. i thought it was a great idea... maybe if i can find a cabinet to spare, i'll do it with Nate!! haha :)
Post a Comment