Saturday, August 14, 2010

The beach was relaxing.  The pool was nice.  The go carts and putt-putt were fun.  But the most important thing about our trip last week were the people with whom we went.  The Outer Banks holds a special place for the Burkett family, and it was bittersweet to be back there together. 

For several years, Granddad Burkett, his parents and many of his 11 (yes, 11) siblings rented a house together in the Outer Banks.  It's only about an hour from where Granddad lives, so it was an easy trip for him to make.  A few times, Jason and I went up to visit and stay a night or two. 

Three years ago, Tom, Darlene, Tammy, Jason and I spent long weekend in a house there together.  It was that weekend that I took one of my favorite pictures ever.


Even though it was June, the water was cold, and Tom, Jason and Tammy decided to play a game to see who could sit in the crashing waves for the longest.  Darlene stood there watching and laughing, and it was such a beautiful image from where I sat.  I snapped several pictures, but this one had the most significance.  Tom, Jason and Tammy are sitting with a wave about to crash over them, and Darlene stood, watching over them, with perfectly calm waters in front of her. 

We had so much fun that week, and it was just a few short months later that Darlene went home to be with her Lord and Saviour. 

Last week, there were seven of us, Tom, Tammy, Carey, Jason, Kyran, Karyssa and me.  We had a great time, but it was a week of many mixed emotions.  We are so fortunate that Karyssa and Kyran have Granddad, Aunt Tammy and Uncle Carey to love them so much, and who they love just as much!

I love my Granddaddy!

So do I!

Blurry picture of Kyran kissing Aunt Tammy


Looking for shells

Playing in the water

Top of the lighthouse

Looking down from the lighthouse

No comments:

The Burkett Bundle on WLTX