Monday, September 20, 2010

Little bodies, Big personalities

Many days, I have to remind myself how small my kids really are.  I know that, in reality, they are small for their age and small just because they are so young.  But in my mind's eye, they are big. 

Firstly, they seem big to me because of how small they were.  At this point, they are both about seven times their birth weights.  Seven times!!  I wasn't seven times my birth weight until I was about 10 years old.  They are also double their birth length now.  What a huge change!  So, compared to how I first saw them and held them, they look and feel huge now!

The main reason, though, is that their personalities are so BIG!  During the day, they are so full of life and energy, that it's hard to see them as these little babies who are still wearing 9-12 month clothes.  They know so much, and do so much and say so much and take up so much of my heart that it is hard to think of them as little

But at night, when I go in to say my prayers over them, I am reminded of how little they actually are.  Here are these sweet, innocent little babies, lying in their cribs, and I remember how dependent they are, and how much they are still learning and growing. 

I think one of the greatest things about motherhood for me is knowing my children so well that I know every little detail about them, can anticipate their actions and even the looks on their faces.  And knowing them well enough to know that they will continue to surprise me too!  I love all of the every day ins and outs of my children, and I'm looking forward to getting to know them better and loving all of the surprises along the way!

No comments:

The Burkett Bundle on WLTX